Chapter 24

Chloe sat across the table from Elliot, watching as he talked about his latest deal while he shoved steak into his mouth. They were supposed to meet with the others for a drink and brunch; and they had met them for a moment. Then Elliot impatiently said he was hungry, ushered Chloe to a table, and ordered food.

He hadn't bothered to invite the others, and Chole had declined lunch as she sipped on her mimosa.

"I'm sorry if I was rude to your friends, but I only have a limited amount of time before I have to be across town for a meeting, and eating on our own is quicker. You can join them after I leave if you like." He shoved another bit of steak into his mouth.

"Thank you for your permission to talk to my friends," Chloe said overly sweetly.

Elliot at least had the grace to blush at her comment.

"I wanted to talk to you about your friends," he said as he reached for his drink.

"Yes, what about them?" she asked.

"You look nice today," Elliot said as if he was trying to soften her with a compliment.

"Thank you." Her smile felt forced.

Elliot took a deep breath as he looked over to where Lia, Ben, Faye, Silas, and Valentine stood sipping their mimosas and assorted drinks while they waited for a table big enough for all of them.

"I've been asking around, and I don't like what I hear," Elliot frowned. "I mean, at first, I was impressed with your friends, they all seem well off and influential, but the opposite is true."

"Oh no, they are all very rich, disgustingly so," Chloe said in a dry voice as she sipped her drink.

"It's not that. Did you know Ben killed his wife, and Valentine did some horrible things during the war, like really bad, torturing people and stuff?"

Chloe spat out her drink and started to choke at what he had said.

Elliot was completely serious. Chloe wiped her mouth.

"Ben did not kill his wife, and Valentine would never torture anyone." Well, almost anyone, she conceded silently. He was doing his best to torture her. 

"You don't know that. You weren't there!" Elliot hissed, looking over his shoulder at Valentine.

"I was there." Chloe watched Elliot's eyes grow wide. "I have known Valentine and Silas for twenty years. They are skilled surgeons who save lives." As she said the words, she realized it wasn't true. Valentine wasn't a surgeon anymore, and he had taken lives.

Chloe looked over her shoulder at Valentine, whose head turned as he met her glance.

"That look right there? What is that? What's between the two of you?" Elliot asked.

"Nothing, nothing at all," Chloe said, unable to hide the bitterness in her voice. She drained her glass and then reached for her purse. "This isn't going to work between us, Elliot, so let's just cut our losses. My friends are non-negotiable, and if you feel like they will hold you back, then I think we both need to move on."

"If that's what you want," Elliot said, leaning back in his chair.

"It is," Chloe agreed, standing and heading for the door with a wave to her friends.

They waved back with concerned looks, but no one tried to stop her from leaving. She was a block from the restaurant when a hand reached out and caught her arm.

"Where are you going?" Valentine said, pulling her towards him with such force that she collided with his chest.

"I'm going to go adopt a cat!" she said, stepping away from him. He reached for her again, and she stepped back again. "Don't touch me."