3

The King of the Jagophites wanted a companion. Someone he could talk to on an intellectual level. The Jagophites he led were beasts who spoke in half-words and cared only for blood.

After fleeing from the farm, he had happened across a girl but dared not reveal himself. Not until the human's blood had given him a more appropriate appearance. He rubbed his scaly hands together. How strange it was to have so many fingers. The scales felt softer than normal. The change would happen at any time.

As she raced through the woods, the Jagophite Leader stalked her like a wolf. She glanced back every now and then as if she could sense his presence but he kept to the shadows of the thick tree trunks.

Final thoughts echoed in his mind. Thoughts that were alien to him.

Let the professionals handle this.

Had the man been of some importance? The Jagophite Leader licked his lips, remembering the taste of his warm blood. He could still feel it coarsing through his system, being translated like codes in a computer.

Distracted by this new sensation, he stumbled over the root of a tree and cursed out loud. The human's genetic makeup was causing him to be clumsy. Hunched over, it was then he noticed that his skin was sore and pink. No longer was he protected by his scales. The blood roaring within his veins felt like it was boiling. So much so that he yelled out in pain.

Fear. So much fear of the looming darkness. He closed his eyes and pictured the Jagophite leaping on top of him, ripping at his throat. He had been that Jagophite. He had murdered that man. Graison. No, he could not steal that name.

A rustle of footsteps caught his attention. The leader glanced up. The girl held out her hand.

'Do you need some help?'

He had never before seen eyes so deep, dark and compassionate.

'Thank you,' he said as he took her hand, rubbing the smooth skin of her knuckles with his thumb. She drew back her hand and wiped it on her cardigan.

'Are you hurt?' she asked.

'I may be sick,' he told her, wiping away the sweat that beaded against his forehead. Was this what it was like to be human? Weak? He noticed that the girl had taken several steps back.

'My mother is a doctor,' she said. 'But I'm afraid, I'm not sure where she's gone.'

'Has she abandoned you?'

'No,' said the girl adamantly. 'She told me to run. Said there's danger nearby.'

'Oh?' said the Jagophite Leader. 'I see no danger. Where are you running to?'

'December's Place.'

'I've not heard of that,' he ran a hand through his dark wavy hair. Another oddity. 'Stay with me. I'll protect you.'

The girl walked backwards. 'I'll be okay on my own.'

The Jagophite Leader roared and the girl jumped backwards, startled to hear such an inhuman noise erupt from a human mouth.

The Jagophites who had been hiding out of sight revealed themselves. They slunk from round tree trunks and dragged themselves from the bushes

'Please,' the girl sobbed. 'Don't.'

A Jagophite slinked around the leader's knees and eyed her up hungrily, drool dripping from its yellow fangs.

'You must stop when I say so,' said the leader in a language the girl could not understand. To her, it sounded like a nonsensical growling and gargles.

The Jagophite edged closer. The girl panicked. She desperately searched for a way out but more beasts cornered her on either side.

'No,' she whimpered. 'I have a family.'

'Drink,' said the leader.