4

Sloshing half onto the crispy leaf strewn ground below, Aldric gulped the water as he ran. Supplies were useless anyway. A weight getting heavier with every hastened step. Back at the house, he had suspected his father intended to take them since he was the one going into battle. Had he made it that far? Aldric forced himself not to think of such things and focused on getting to December's Place. He didn't want to sleep outside all night, especially not now.

December lived in a cottage, hidden deep in the woods. After her large family all went their separate ways, she opened it as a refuge for children and families across Gliendale. The cottage was ideal. Built into the side of a mountain with four floors, two underground, the others secreted in the walls of the mountain which were also home to a series of tunnels. Aldric had been more interested in the outside and spent most of his time around the mountains. He discovered many hidey holes and caves, useful when pretending to be an explorer and adventurer, all by himself because the other children never wanted to play with him.

Aldric finished the water, shoved the empty canister away and slung the sack back over his shoulder. A weight he wished didn't burden him. He glanced back, tempted to turn. What if those Jagophites reached the main village? His best and only friend lived there. K. An odd name but she was an odd person so it suited her fine. Aldric resisted the urge to go home. He had to follow his father's orders.

He battered through the spindly tree branches but through the darkness, could not stop them from whacking back into his face. He grumbled through the woods, using his hands as shields for when the leafless twigs swished at him. He arrived at the clearing, being careful as tree stumps littered the area. As he approached December's Place he stared at it with fondness, wondering whether she would be awake to let him in. He had never visited at night.

The cold getting to him, Aldric pulled the frayed rope handing by the locked door and a grand bell bellowed through the masonry. Tiny knots gathered in his stomach. Such a long time had passed since he last visited. According to his father, people like December were rare. Aldric used to stay with her during the summers when his father went to training camps.

The door opened.

'Aldric?' December appeared through the shadows. 'What brings you here?'

She led him through the tight corridor and a dusty dimness wrapped around Aldric like a damp blanket. Dried footprints smattered the uneven tiles. A sliver of light snuck under the door ahead. Aldric hastened towards the inviting glow, kicking dead leaves as he went.

December opened the door to the common room. Potted plants were dotted by the walls and a tasselled rug spread across the floor, patterned in numerous shades of oranges and browns. Aldric breathed in the familiar autumn scent and relaxed a little.

'What's happened,' said December. 'Is your father alright?'

Aldric shrugged and pretended he'd found something intriguing on the floor. He stuttered as he attempted to explain what had happened.

'What if he's dead?' Aldric sniffed. 'It's my fault if he is.'

'Don't consider it,' she told him. 'You're not to blame for anything. Besides, your father is alive. I know it.' She led Aldric upstairs and down many winding corridors. 'You can stay in your normal room,' she continued, 'but you'll have company.' Aldric's mind drifted until December's voice sounded distant. As the images of the night ran through his mind, he wandered as if walking through a dream, almost passing straight past the door they were stopping at.

December knocked. After a few moments a girl, a couple of years older than Aldric, poked her head round. Brunette plaits framed her eyes that were so wide and alert, they appeared to pop out from her face.