29

It was a beautiful sight as the sun rose over Zace Ella Temple. No-one would have thought that only a few weeks ago it had been ravaged by a deadly fire. Its dome sparkled like the crystals of the crystalline cave and its new wooden doors were so freshly polished that Aldric could see the faces of the crowd reflected in them. The Eldest Elder approached the podium and the everyone's attention turned to him.

'Today marks an important day in our history,' he said proudly. 'Today we see the opening of a valuable landmark. The rebuilding of which shows that we are not the type of community who are easily beaten when opposing forces come crashing through our gates.' Aldric looked either side to him to where K and Evie sat. Both were listening intently.

'We are not the sort of people who give up in the face of adversity,' The Eldest Elder continued, his voice low. 'Sadly, we still have challenges to overcome and changes to adjust to. Recent events have been troubling and have led to an increase in tensions between the worlds. But I promise you that any decisions made regarding these tensions are made because we must keep coming back stronger. We must defend ourselves. The borders are closed, for good this time, I hope. If hostilities should arise, we must be prepared to gather our strength and not back down against any challenges. Think of this building as a symbol of our community's strength and know you will always be welcome within its walls as you will always be welcome inside our community: Isahiels, LendoZiyans, and Atarikkans alike.'

'And Iccolsions and Etchagonites,' Aldric heard K whisper to herself huffily. She wasn't the only person to whisper but The Eldest Elder didn't notice.

'So now,' he declared, 'I am very pleased to announce that Zace Ella temple is officially reopened. I hope you will all join me in toasting the future prosperity of this magnificent building.'

'Bad choice of words there,' said Raiden from behind.

'Where have you been?' said Aldric.

'Had some stuff to sort out,' he whispered.

'So the plan's still going ahead?'

'What plan?' said Evie.

'Can't say,' Raiden put a finger to his lips. 'Not here. Meet me at Cliffside Nook before the ceremony. Oh, and Aldric, did you get rid of that bloody thing yet?'

'Yes,' said Aldric knowing full well that Raiden was referring to the cocoon. They had been having the same debate for the past three months but Aldric felt it best to let Raiden think that the cocoon was gone for good. In fact it lay, unchanging, in the corner of The Crystalline Cave.

***

Aldric grinned as he watched Floyd struggling to button his silver waistcoat. At last he gave up and, adjusting his frilled sleeves, noticed Aldric's amused face.

'It's those cakes,' he explained as if his slight weight gain had been entirely their fault and nothing whatsoever to do with him. 'Well, we'd better get going. Best not to be late, Winori would never forgive me.'

They made their way to the seafront where a huge veranda had been put up. The sea lapped close by, ebbing and flowing almost all the way up to them. In a small nook underneath the cliff side, Raiden, Evie and K were sitting on the amber sands. He did not disturb them for a moment because the picture was perfect but he could not delay their meeting forever.

'I'll see you there,' he told Floyd before running off.

'Come on,' said Evie as Aldric joined them. 'What is this plan?'

'The plan?' said Raiden. 'Oh yes, of course. How could I forget?' Aldric may have been imagining it but he was sure that Raiden looked a little sad. 'Milo and I are going to take The Flower Child. K's said that it's okay.'