24

Aldric awoke to find himself lying in a white sheeted bed. Yellow flowers peeped at him from their crystal-clear vase on the bedside table. Slowly, he sat up. He was in an unfamiliar bedroom. It was morning. But that was the farthest extent of his knowledge. A couple of chirping birds were chattering on the window ledge. A fresh breeze swished through, blowing the netted curtain gently, to and fro in a hypnotic manner. It was the calmness that made him feel like he had awoken in another life. He could not strain his mind to remember what the noise and havoc had been for. All he knew now was that it was quiet and that it hadn't been for a long time.

He nestled himself back down into the sweet smelling covers and listened intently to the almost silent sounds that surrounded him. He was upstairs for he could hear familiar mutterings below him but could not make out anything specific. Aldric was listening for a very long time but the conversation faded away and footsteps were creaking up towards him. The door edged open a little. Aldric sat up a bit and saw two green jewel eyes peering at him. K opened the door wider.

'Are you awake?' she said. He looked at her blankly.

'No,' he said.

'Very funny,' she replied, grimfaced. 'I meant are you feeling awake?'

Aldric gave a slight smile but it wavered for it all came back to him.

'K! The fire!' But she hushed him.

'You're still tired.'

'No,' he exclaimed. 'Did everyone get out? Please tell me they got out!'

K sniffed. A blur stormed past the doorway behind her.

'Was that Raiden?' he said. Aldric climbed out of bed, intending to go after and wring some answers out of him.

'Let him be for a bit,' K whispered, tears in her eyes. 'He doesn't want to talk to anyone.' She hesitated and turned away before saying the dreaded words. 'We lost Aurelia.' Aldric's heart missed a beat and felt light in his chest. K, as if not knowing how to react next, flung her arms around his neck. Aldric let out a tear for Aurelia and wished that he had known her better. The box popped into his mind. It was like they would never know the secret behind it now that she was gone.

'Why her?' he hushed, hate bubbling under his skin. K pulled away and Aldric realised that he had been holding onto her a little too tightly. 'Sorry,' he said.

'Stop blaming yourself.' replied K, rubbing her arms. 'You always think everything's your fault.'

'Where are we anyway?' he wondered, not bothering to explain to K that he was only apologising for hugging too tightly and that she had now reminded him that it was indeed his fault. All of it. He hadn't even been able to go back and help his friends because he was too weak. He couldn't even use the power a Crystal Guardian was meant to be able to use. Aldric could feel his eyes burning as if being poked at by needles of guilt.

'This is Haydon's house,' said K, getting up to look out of the window. 'We're on the outskirts of Zace Ella. Floyd said it would be better to get away from it all... for a bit.' She turned sharply from the sill. 'Everyone's downstairs by the way. They've been worried.'

'Haydon's okay?' Aldric sat up. 'What happened?'

Aldric tilted his head towards the sun and felt like he had lost time with no hope of ever finding it. He thought back to the fire, his mind drawn to Agathea, the monster of his nightmares. Would she have perished too?

Winori burst through the doorway. She had a strange look of mingled fear and fury scattered across her complexion. Aldric wiped his eyes as she ran the short distance to the bed.