12

Aldric's whole body juddered as he woke. For a moment, he thought he was home but the icy floor blurred into focus and fired up his memories. As everything flooded back to him, a lump rose in his throat, sickening him to his core. Here they were, safe and sound whilst back home, people were fighting for their lives.

Travors probably still hid in his precious garage. December would be keeping Jaireth safe. He knew where little Feliciana was but he couldn't bring himself to dwell on it. Nor could he bear thinking about his father. Aldric longed for home so much that it hurt like a blow to the stomach. His face creased up at the thought of what horrors he would find there.

Soft sunlight poured into the room but the air did not even smell of the fresh morning that Aldric had already grown accustomed to. Back home he would have been able to smell the damp crops in the field and the musty warm smell of hay. Instead, the air smelt like the tavern. Cold but warm with a hint of fresh fish and a ginger aroma that hung around only at meal times. It was then Aldric realised that they had all slept in.

He sat up. "K?"

K rolled over. "I'm here," she whispered. "Sleep as long as you like."

Aldric yawned and slipped back under the covers.

Later, when everyone was wide awake and refreshed, Cozmo and Selwyn announced their plans to make a visit to the Citadel to enquire about the conference on Etchagon. Raiden planned to return to the ship to try and fix it, but he waited until K was awake so that he could borrow her expertise. Evie was going to tag along but Aldric wanted to join Cozmo and Selwyn at the Citadel.

That afternoon, they went their separate ways. Raiden, K and Evie began their long trek to the ship. All their belongings were packed as they didn't plan to return. Except to pick up Aldric who could not help thinking that he was burdening Cozmo and Selwyn. They walked briskly and Aldric lagged behind. Nevertheless, they stopped outside the Citadel entrance and waited for him to catch up. They patted him on the shoulder. All seemed calm. Aldric took a deep breath as they burst through the doors. He expected there would be chaos.

'Back again?' Lady Neret scowled, looking up from her work.

'We're here to enquire about the Etchagon Conference,' said Selwyn in a stern, matter-of-fact tone of voice.

Cozmo pushed past, eager to make his own voice heard. 'Yeah, we want to know what's going on. Will the kids be safe if we were to send them home?'

'I'm sorry,' Lady Neret shook her head. 'I don't know what you're talking-.'

'But Raiden said,' Aldric spoke this time. 'He said that he had persuaded the Lords to go to conference with the Etchagons.'

'Even if there had been a conference,' said Lady Neret, 'I cannot possibly divulge any information to civilians. Now, if you would please leave, in a sensible manner.'

'No,' he said, trying to keep his voice calm. 'My Dad is lost somewhere, our friends are in trouble, lives are at risk. Is the situation gonna be sorted out or not?'

'I've said,' Lady Neret's frown seemed to be drowning out her chin. 'I cannot help you.'

'Are the Jagophites going to be dealt with?' Aldric raised his voice.

Selwyn stepped forward. 'Just tell us one thing. Are the Etchagons taking action?'

Lady Neret's lips twitched. 'I don't think you should trust that Raiden boy.' She smirked. 'There has not been a conference. We would not waste our time with the Etchagon primitives.' She stood up from her desk, turned on her heels and disappeared from the room. Aldric glowered at her back.