5

There was no-one to save them. The cut off Etchagons would not want to claim responsibility for the creatures that were native to their world, nor would the intellectual Iccolsions want to bloody their hands, and Aldric was not even going to think about the proud LendoZiyans who never involved themselves in the conflicts of otherworldly primitives.

He grasped the hilt of his sword and drew it. Evie gasped a little, backing away from him as if she was scared of what he was going to do. Jaireth sniffed, still clinging onto Evie who urged him off and rushed towards the door to shut it. She hurried over to Aldric's bed and tried to pull it in front of the doorway.

'Help me,' Evie panicked.

'I'm not staying in here,' said Aldric as he scarpered out of the room.

Evie hesitated but scooped Jaireth into her arms before she chased after him. After all, he was armed and she was not. They hadn't even reached halfway to the dining room when they were met by December, fleeing in the opposite direction whilst carrying a wailing baby. A group of frantic children followed in a tightly knit group. Amongst them were a few adults and teenagers though not many.

Aldric and Evie stopped in their tracks, unsure of their next moves. Someone shouted out from the crowd. They shouted at them to run. Aldric replaced his sword and followed Evie down the corridor. December called out directions. They were going downstairs, deep downstairs, underground and into the side of the cliff. The group packed themselves into a dark room. A lamp was lit, the door was locked and two older teenage boys began reinforcing the door with everything they could get their hands on.

Something began banging on the other side. Aldric glanced around the room but all he could see were silhouettes of bustling people and the face of December floating amongst them, lit aglow by the flame of the lamp. She called out to Aldric.

'Open the passageway.'

Aldric fumbled across the wall, bumping into people as he went. At last he found what he was searching for. He felt the cold brass handle in his hands and pulled with all his might. The tunnels were exposed and a chilly breeze swept through the room. Aldric could feel everybody's eyes turn to him although he could not see them.

'One at a time,' December called as she heard the clank of the door opening, 'Head out through the tunnels, the passage has been opened.'

There was a rush to the back of the room. Aldric was shoved aside and pushed into the wall. His face went numb against the smooth stone but he could not move.

'Please, be careful,' December called from the other side of the room. The banging escalated. Whatever was out there was not giving up but the crowd was thinning. Only a few remained in the room. December was thanking the teenage boys for their help with barricading the door. She told them to make their way out. They readily agreed and tagged onto the end of an unorganised line of people, all fighting their way towards the tunnel's entrance. Aldric too tagged onto the line, though trying to keep his distance from the more frantic group members. He squinted through the darkness wondering whether Evie and Jaireth had made it into the tunnels. They had not.

December's lamp illuminated the terrified face of a little boy, Jaireth. He was hanging onto Evie but he was pulling her backwards and not letting her go through the door. Evie lifted the frightened boy in her arms but he kicked and cried. Nevertheless, Evie was adamant and carried him over to the back of the quick moving line. December joined them. Her eyes were wide, her hands were shaking.

A large crash resounded throughout the room and many Jagophites appeared at the doorway, their emotionless black eyes leering at them. They bundled into the room and raced towards them. Aldric drew his sword. Evie uttered a small scream and clung onto her little brother whose screaming drowned out the screeching coming from the frantic crowd. December towed Aldric back as to stop him from fighting whilst the crowd shoved and pushed their way forward, determined to escape death and, in their desperation, not caring who they hurt in the process.