19

'What did the old fellow want?' Floyd beamed as Aldric arrived at the front door.

'What's the matter?' Evie asked. 'Is that blood?' she added.

Aldric glanced down at himself and wished that he had washed under the waterfall. So K had said nothing? It was left to Aldric to explain the regrettable situation. Aurelia, Evie and Floyd all listened intently, mouths open wide at many intervals.

'We need to have a talk,' said Floyd when all had been explained. He beckoned to Aldric to sit down on the sofa. K came into the living room, took one look at Aldric and stormed back out. Aurelia gave him an apologetic glance before leaving him alone in the room with Floyd.

'The Crystal Guardian is a very powerful person,' he said. 'He, or she...can do a lot more than any of us can.'

'I gathered that,' said Aldric. 'Why are you telling me this?'

Floyd shushed him. 'Now. You know that Isahiels have certain... abilities.' Aldric nodded impatiently as Floyd lay back in his chair. 'Well, the Crystal Guardian can do so much more. They alone can harness the Evepyra energy and make it do whatever they want it to.' Aldric stared blankly. 'You don't know do you,' said Floyd, realisation dawning on him.

'Know what?' Aldric's eyes widened as he remembered how his pendent had glowed. 'Wait, you think I'm the Crystal Guardian?'

'This is just a theory,' said Floyd. 'But I believe Ty would have been too weak to come back, even though technically he was the one to kill Ivor. The Evepyra would have chosen you when it realised there was no-one else.'

'I'm a last resort?' Aldric felt a little offended.

'To put it bluntly,' said Floyd.

'K was there too.'

'Ah, but she's not an Isahiel,' he explained. 'It's more likely to choose someone with Isahiel blood than an Iccolsion. The Evepyra comes more naturally to us.'

'I guess,' said Aldric though he thought K would have been a much more responsible choice for Guardian. 'What will I be able to do now that Isahiels can't?'

'Hmm,' he rested his head on his hand. 'Compared to you, all we can do are mere magic tricks. The natural energies of our planet belong to you now.'

'Harnessing all this energy,' said Aldric, trying to understand, 'wouldn't it hurt?'

'I don't know,' Floyd replied. 'Ty would have been the best person to ask, but it's too late now.'

Footsteps thudded down the stairs and Raiden appeared in the doorway. The look on his face told Aldric that he had just been told the news.

'I never knew you had it in you,' he said, taking a seat next to Aldric. 'Floyd and I, we'll sort this out for you so that you won't get into any trouble.'

'Trouble?' worried Aldric.

'No,' said Floyd, 'you've got it wrong. Aldric didn't kill Ivor. The Evepyra chose him.'

'Can't have been many choices,' said Raiden.

Aldric gave him a withering look before lowering himself back down into the cushions. He tilted his head towards the window contemplatively.

'How come it was easy?' Aldric asked.

'Eh?' Raiden lazily lifted up his head.