Chapter 2

A/N: Up above is how I picture Hope looking

A/N: Up above is how I picture Hope looking. Of course, use your imagination to picture anyone you like. Don't forget to vote.

~Katja

I only felt the bliss of falling for a moment. As I let go and was starting to fall over the ledge, I was suddenly swung backward hard and fell back onto the rooftop with a grunt. My world was spinning.

I soon felt myself frowning because I was still alive. I placed my hand over my heart and found it still beating. My sadness and pain turned into anger. I sit up slowly due to my balance being nonexistent. Woah. I need to close my eyes. Nope. Not helping.

"What the hell were you doing?" I jump at the sound of another voice.

Oh yeah, I wasn't alone.

I finally stand up and turn to see my "savior." I take a deep breath steadying myself. I finally made eye contact with her. She was just a bit shorter than me with long strawberry blond curly hair and a piercing shade of green eyes. She was in complete contrast to my short curly dark brown hair and dark brown eyes.

"Just seeing if I could fly." I retorted with sarcasm and venom laced in my words.

Her eyebrows furrow at my words.

"Now why would you go and do something stupid like that?" She shot back with an equal amount of sarcasm. Folding her arms in front of her chest.

I just rolled my eyes and huffed. I looked back at the ledge I was already supposed to be on the other side of. I sighed, looking up to the sky.

"Soon," I whispered to myself, hoping Maddie could hear.

I look back at this stranger, and I can't even be angry anymore. I just want to go home. She may have delayed me for one more day, but there's always tomorrow. Her features had softened once she saw me again, and began closing the space between us.

She engulfed me in a hug, and I immediately just broke down. Everything over the past few months came rushing down and out. As if this stranger started an avalanche or broke the dam.

She continued to whisper soothing words in my ear as she held me up. I didn't expect her to be strong enough to hold me up, but nothing is ever as it seems.

"What did she say to you up on that roof?" I smile with tears in my eyes at this.

"Oh, you know, the usual. Everything's going to be okay, let it all out, I'm right here; you aren't alone." I chuckle as more tears stream down. I take a steadying breath and look back up to Nancy.

"You know, Maddie and I weren't codependent, okay, maybe at times, but we didn't have to change, fix, or save each other. Sure, we leaned on each other at times, but that's normal. We were two individuals absolutely in love. She wasn't my absolute sole purpose of happiness, at least I didn't ever think so, but when you fall in love with a girl like Maddison Perry, your life will never be the same.

I'm sure most people understand what grief and massive depression will do to you. It's this overwhelming pain that lets you know you're alive, but it's the same pain that makes you want to die.

    A lot of people say, "Keep fighting," or "Come on, there's more life to live!" Yet they just don't get it." I say this with many emotions laced into my voice, but you could also tell how annoyed I am by some people's lack of empathy.

"What exactly don't they get?" She asked curiously. I sighed.

"Why would I fight for a life that doesn't feel like mine anymore? What more is there besides the pain? Sure, it'll dull over time, but then someone else will be ripped away. Morbid thinking? Yeah, I know, but that's where your mind is at in the beginning, sometimes for a very long time afterward, and unfortunately, for some, it never goes away."