𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞 𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐌𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

"Isn't it strange
Knowing one day
The people we become
Are going to fade
But what we create
Will survive when we are gone,"

     Teresa Molina sang, her nimble fingers danced all along the sleek white and black keys of a grand piano. Sunlight spilled into the studio, basking the plants and her back in a warm glow. The warmth of the sunlight seemingly filled her veins, prompting a cheerful smile to grace her cracked lips.

"So even if I just make
A fraction of a difference
I'm almost certain
It will have been worth it,"

Her eyes were closed, her body swayed as she felt the music at the very core of her being. Nothing else existed beyond herself and the music that wrapped around her, echoing throughout her soul and into the air of her mother's studio. 

She didn't carry on singing, the words faded to soft hums, the remainder of the notes were all experimental; the song being incomplete. Dark brown, the shade of dark chocolate blinked open. 

"It's all I've got, the rest is up in the air." Teresa, most commonly known as Tessa, grinned childishly at the audience of her mother, little sister, and best friend. Clapping rang out as Julie Molina joined her big sister on the bench at the sleek black grand piano.

"It's got such an amazing melody!" Julie gushed, her thick squared glasses slipped down the bridge of her nose as she grabbed the music sheet and gnawed on ink pen. The cap was placed on the bottom and missing a few pieces from how often Tessa would chew on it, be it from thought or boredom it depended on what she was doing.

"Yeah, you could try to add a faster tempo." Piper Wilson teased, not knowing a single thing about music but being supportive. "Can't really dance to it in a club," She winked at the sisters.

Shaking her head, Rose Molina's gaze burned with pride. "It's lovely as it is, baby," She looped her arm around Piper's shoulders and squeezed gently. "And no clubs till' your at least eighteen." Her reply elicited echoing laughter but Julie scrunched up her nose and shook her head, not bothering with fixing her glasses.

"Clubs have the worst music!" Julie argued. "They don't care about the meaning behind it, it's just fast tempo's and no one is even paying attention."

"Yeah, Jules, that's sort of the point." Piper sang, hugging the older woman before picking up her bag and slinging the strap across her shoulder. "Speaking of, the Halloween party is tomorrow night, and guess who doesn't have a costume?" She spun around, acting goofy before pointing both fingers at Tessa.

Tessa rolled her eyes and pointed at herself with her thumbs. "This girl because it's also my birthday and I'd rather spend it stuffing my face with pizza and cake, not candy that I don't even like." She stood from the comfortable bench, pausing long enough to push Julie's glasses up before stealing away the sheet music and ink pen.

"Oh come on, we're supposed to be going as Jasmine and Aladdin!" 

Piper had been planning their costumes ever since the day after last year when Tessa weaseled her way out of attending the Halloween party that was being thrown by their schools' queen bee, Stacy Grove. For as long as Piper planned, Tessa planned on not going.

"Whatever you decide just let us know, Carlos wants to go trick-or-treating with his friends," Rose reminded, watching her soon to be seventeen-year-old daughter grab her backpack and shove the sheet music into it with reckless abandon. It was her sign of completing it by the end of the day.