𝟏𝟑. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

"So, the day you died is also the day you were born?" Mickey watched as Tessa offered a hesitant nod. "Man, that, that really sucks." He grinned, stretching his arm forward and messing up her hair.

Tessa laughed before swatting at his hand. "That's one way to put it," She looked around at their surroundings. "So, why did you bring us here?"

Mickey and Tessa had been friends since two months after her death. Their actual meeting was something both still laughed about but agreed to never tell any future ghost friends. As usual, they were spending the evening together. 

Tessa had recently left when her family went to bed and Mickey decided to part ways with his twin. They usually spent the night walking around or sneaking into the movie theaters but that night Mickey had brought them down by the pier, where the ocean met the sand.

"What? A guy can't bring a girl down to the pier?" Mickey teased, bumping his shoulder against her's as they say on the cool sand and peered out across the dark and vast ocean. The silvery stars gleamed above them but his gaze drifted to see her peering up at them, content filling her expression despite her having recounted how it was she died.

Tessa rolled her eyes. "You only ever bring us here when you want to talk." She'd picked up on his habit fairly quickly, she looked just in time to see him look away and out across the ocean.

"Yeah," Mickey breathed. "Would you say we're close?" His arm stretched outward, coiling around her waist and dragging her into his side where her head rested against his shoulder and her arms rested on stretched legs.

Tessa mulled over his question. 

There were things she'd told him about herself she would have told anyone. She was never one to keep secrets but the few she did keep were always within great reason. She could consider them close, she'd never been so physically close to a boy her age but she was aware that wasn't what he was asking. From the minute she met Mickey, she knew he was fighting.

"I'd fight for you." Tessa settled, she had told him about Piper and what Trevor did, he'd helped her haunt the rock star for a brief period but it ended when she saw Trevor crying over a wallet-sized photo of her friend.

Despite that, she'd never taken him to meet Piper or her family but she showed him her mom's headstone. She had secrets but so did he and despite both knowing this, Tessa knew in her heart that she would gladly fight for Mickey because there was something about them, something about him she found worth whatever antics he dragged them into.

Mickey felt his lips curve upward. "Yeah, well you'd probably be the only one." His voice was soft as he rested his cheek against the crown of her head. "My twin might but I'd rather avoid that loser fighting, broke his own nose one time when we were learning karate."

"Is that why you leave all of the skateboarding to him?" Tessa teased, shifting and warping her arm loosely around his waist as he chuckled. "Would you fight for me?" She didn't look at him, her attention was drawn to the crashing waves as both thought of the one ghost they had to fight; Caleb Covington.

Mickey gnawed on his lower lip. He'd only ever fought for two people, himself and his brother, since meeting the dead girl he'd learned so many things and his usual chaotic havoc changed from anger to genuine fun.