The Walk

I stared at my ceiling hazily as I lay upon my bed in the

early hours of the morning. There is something oddly quiet in the early mornings that appeared to carry peacefulness to my spirit like none other.

Regardless of whether it's the sprightly tweeting of the birds outside the window, or the early morning dew or the orange fog of the sun rising into the sky, raising the whole world in its wake.

I heard the creak of a gate in the next house as old grandpa going out for a morning walk. I also listened to a dog barking and a cuckoo singing in the far away. It was like the entire world around me buzzing around me with life.

Why can't I ever be as cheerful as the chirping bird? I gazed at my side table where I kept my mobile phone. I grabbed and unlocked it. I notice lots of notifications in various apps which confirmed I had friends around me who bother to take some time to wish me a morning.

Should I close my eyes and take a nap or just do a single outdoor flick? I didn't know what to do on a Sunday morning.

After contemplating for some time, I concluded to get up from my bed and go outside. The house was still chilled and quiet. I guess I got up too early in the morning, but then I looked at my cell phone screen to check the time and found 06:24 a.m.

I was not alone who woke up too soon that morning; my devil mind also got active and choose to wake Vivan up before time.

I called him up without even thinking that he might be sleeping. I thought I had a right on him to call him at any time.

"Good morning Vivan, what you doing?" I said to him.

"I am playing basketball in my bed. What silly question are you asking? You know sleeping is my hobby, especially on weekends. Tell me why you are up so early today? You also love to sleep." He replied while yawning.

"Vivan it's a beautiful morning and I want to go for a walk, would you mind joining me?" I offer him to join me.

"No ways. I am exhausted as I slept very late last night, so I am in no mood to go for a walk on Sunday morning. Catch you later, bye." He cut the phone.

I decided to get up and go for a lonely walk. I slowly made my way to the garden. A chilly gust of the wind hit my face.

I stood still for a moment, enjoyed the feel of it with my closed eyes and a gentle smile flickered on my face. I went on to stroll around the lawn on the narrow cobblestone pathway as I check around.

I lived in an amicable community. Mamta aunty was enjoying her early morning coffee on the front of her porch and there stood the Ravi uncle watering his plants. It was not more than six months but I have developed an adequate rapport with neighbours.

The sun seemed to have come up now, so I intended to go close-by garden for jogging. The park was nearby my society; it barely takes five minutes to walk to the park. The entire round of the park comprised of about half a kilometre and took around ten minutes to finish one.

I usually take two rounds on weekdays as I had to manage my office timing. Being Sunday; I aimed to take four, taking the rest of ten minutes after every two rounds. I started jogging on the pavement specially carved for the joggers. As I walked, my attention drifted to the letter, the one lying at the bottom of my drawer.

A distant look appeared in my eyes, as I thought about the words which had been engraved in my mind by now, by the number of times I read them.

Suddenly, I sense a push from my back.

"Vivan? How come you are here? You said you want to sleep like a pig."

"Yes, but then I thought I should be here protecting you all the time."