The Party

The last day of the week is good for two reasons, not going to the office the next day and it's my birthday today. Party time! It was a perfect Friday and I was overwhelmed by the wishes from friends and family. It was my day and as usual, it's going to be special. But how? I don't have my friends here in Mumbai, not even my mom and dad.

Never mind, you will not be disappointed. I talked to myself. So what if all my friends are not here. I have my whole bunch of new friends. - My office. I decided to celebrate my birthday with a completely new set of people.

The excitement of my birthday didn't let me sleep till 8 am (that's my usual time of waking up). I woke up precisely forty-two minutes earlier that day.

It took me twenty minutes to reply to the people who were awake at midnight to wish me. (Midnight wishes will tell you your real count of friends.)

Last night I had anticipated the overflow of the messages and did mathematical calculations of extra time required to reply to them all. And I was very near to my calculation. I was always good at maths. So I woke up early in the morning.

I got ready for the office; it's my day so I have to look the best among all. I draw out a navy blue skirt and a matching top from the cupboard.

That day the world outside seems to be different. I saw and felt so much positivity around me. I realized that happiness is an inner thing.

Every eye that came into my contact was supposed to greet me today. That's what my expectations for the day.

"Good morning Isha" the receptionist greet me as I entered the office. I was expecting special greetings but it's ok she might have not known that it's my birthday.

"Very Good morning" I replied to her without stopping at the counter.

As I approached my desk, I smell a fragrance of the flowers. I saw a beautiful bouquet at my desk. That's the first surprise for the day. I was so glad that someone knew it's my birthday.

As I stand near my desk, all the colleagues have gathered around me. Without any guesses, I knew they have gathered to wish me on my birthday.

"Happy birthday Isha" the environment was chock up with the noise of the wishes.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you...."

I replied to all with a happy heart.

"So where is the party today?" Vivan asked me in front of everyone.

"At my home in the evening" I replied without even thinking for a moment. Frankly, it was not anticipated and I did not prepare for the party as it was fixed instantaneously.

Anyway, will manage something as I had around two hours in between. Now I started making plans for the party arrangement. I threw a party to my entire office, a few of them I hardly knew. I started counting the heads so that I have an approx. number whom I have to feed and entertain in the evening.

I went to my boss's cabin to invite him to the evening party. It took a lot of courage to enter his chamber as I couldn't find him friendly and approachable. People in the office used to call him "Khaddus" as he never talks decently to anyone.

"May I come in sir?" I gather a lot of courage and sneak in my head in his cabin. He looked at me for a second and then again moved his head down into the file on his table.

"Come in" he approved to enter his cabin.

"Sir, I have arranged a party at my home in the evening, would you please join us for dinner?"

He looked at me with thousands of questions on his face. Have I done something wrong? I was asking myself. Oh! I didn't inform him about the occasion.