16

MILLIES POV

Professor McGonagall stopped outside a classroom.
She opened the door and poked her head inside. I listened in carefully.

"Excuse me, Professor Flitwick, could I borrow Wood for a moment?"

Wood? Was wood a cane she was going to use on us?

But Wood turned out to be a person, a handsome fifth-year boy, who came out of Flitwick's class looking confused. He looked straight at me and I attempted a weak smile. He raised his eyebrows but sent me a small smile in return.

"Follow me, you three," said Professor McGonagall, and we marched on up the corridor. I felt Wood's eyes on the back of my head.

"In here."

Professor McGonagall pointed us into a classroom which was empty except for Peeves, who was busy writing rude words on the blackboard. Even in the situation, I had to stifle a laugh.

"Out, Peeves!" she barked. Peeves threw the chalk into a bin, which clanged loudly, and he swooped out swearing. Professor McGonagall slammed the door behind him and turned to face us.

"Donovan, Potter, this is Oliver Wood. Wood - I've found you a new chaser and seeker."

My breathing increased, as Oliver said "Are you serious, Professor?"

"Absolutely," she said crisply. "Their naturals. I've never seen anything like it. Was that your first time on a broomstick?" She asked Harry and I.

"Yes," I said, my voice coming out croakily, while Harry nodded silently. I looked at her in disbelief.

"She snatched a small ball and threw it an amazing length without hesitating once, imagine what she could do with a Quaffle- and he caught that thing in has hand after a fifty-foot dive," Professor McGonagall told Wood. "Didn't even scratch himself. Charlie Weasley couldn't have done it."

Oliver looked as though all his dreams had come true at once, whilst I continued to stare at both of them in shock.

"Ever seen a game of Quidditch, Donovan? Potter?" Oliver asked us, excitedly.

"No, but my Dads told me about it," I replied quietly. Harry just shook his head again.

"Yes, your father would know all about it Miss Donovan, he was once chaser too," Professor McGonagall said lightly, looking at me. "Wood's captain of the Quidditch team," she explained.

"Your just the build for a seeker, Potter,"'said Oliver, now walking round me and staring. "Light, speedy - you too Millie. Your pretty too, that will gain us a few supporters I'm sure -"

I blushed and thanked him.

"We'll have to get them decent brooms, Professor - a nimbus 2000 or a cleansweep 7, I'd say," he continued.

"I'll shall speak to Professor Dumbledore and see if we can bend the first year rule. Heaven knows, we need a better team than last year. Flattened in that last match by Slytherin, I couldn't look Severus Snape in the face for weeks..."

Professor McGonagall peered sternly over her glasses, her eyes flicking between Harry and I.

"I want to hear your both training hard, or I may change my mind about punishing you."

Then she suddenly smiled and looked straight at Harry.

"Your father would be proud," she said. "He was an excellent quidditch player himself."