20

MILLIES POV

Malfoy couldn't believe his eyes when he saw we were still at Hogwarts, looking tired, but perfectly cheerful. My ankle felt much better too, just as Mione had predicted. Indeed, by next morning Ron, Harry and I thought that meeting the three-headed dog had been an excellent adventure and were quite keen to have another one.

Harry filled Ron and I in about the package that seemed to have been moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts, and we spent a lot of time wondering what could possibly need such heavy protection.

"It's either really valuable or really dangerous," said Ron.

"Or both," I said.

But all we knew for sure about the mysterious object was that it was about 2 inches long, and we didn't have much chance of guessing what it was without further clues.

On the other hand, neither Neville or Mione showed the slightest interest in what lay underneath the dog and the trapdoor. It seemed all Neville cared about was never going near the dog again. Mione was now refusing to speak to Harry and Ron, despite my efforts to make them friends.

"You know, she really is nice," I told Harry and Ron one day in the common room. "Maybe if you just tried to talk-"

"No," Ron had said immediately. "She's a bossy know-it-all, and personally, I'm glad she's not talking to us."

Another thing was Malfoy. All we wanted now was a way of getting back at him, and to my great delight, just the thing arrived with the post about a week later.

As the owls flooded into the great hall as usual, my attention, along with everyone else's, was caught at once by two, identical packages, each carried by six owls. I was very interested to see what were in the long packages, and was amazed when the owls soared down and dropped one in front of me, and one in front of Harry beside me.They had hardly fluttered out the way when another owl dropped a letter on top of the parcels.

I grabbed the letter and ripped it open. Harry tried to lean his head on my shoulder to read it, but having now gained all my strength back, I gently pushed his head away, so he resorted to peering over my shoulder instead. I read:

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCELS AT THE TABLE.
They contain your new nimbus two thousands, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got broomsticks or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you both tonight on the Quidditch pitch at seven o'clock for your first training session.
Professor M.McGonagall

I had difficulty hiding my glee as I handed the note to Ron.

"A nimbus two thousand!" Ron moaned enviously, as Harry grinned widely at me. "I've never even touched one."

We left the hall soon after, wanting to unwrap the broomsticks in private before our first lesson, but halfway across the entrance hall we found our way barred by Crabbe and Goyle. Malfoy seized the package from my hands and felt it.

"That's a broomstick," he said, as I snatched it back. He had a mix of jealousy and spite on his face.

"You'll be in for it this time, Potter," he said, turning to Harry. "First-years aren't allowed them."

"They're not any old broomsticks," Ron said. I sent him a warning look, but it was too late. "They're nimbus two thousands. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a comet two sixty? Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back.

"You -" I began, stepping forward, but before I could even begin to start insulting him, Malfoy had grabbed the front of my robes and pulled me into him, whispering, "Changed your mind yet?"

He was suddenly shoved away from me, and I stumbled back behind Harry, who had his fists clenched so tightly his knuckles were white. Malfoy clutched his chest, groaning.

"Not fighting, I hope, boys?" I heard a voice say behind me. I turned around. It was Professor Flitwick.

"Potter's been sent a broom, Professor," said the idiot behind me.

"Yes, yes, that's right." Said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Harry and I. "Donovan,
too. Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances. And what model are they?"

"A nimbus two thousand, Sir." I replied, as Harry grabbed my arm and pulled me even further away from Malfoy.

"And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that we got them," Harry said, ignoring the glare that Malfoy was sending him.

We headed upstairs, laughing at Malfoy's obvious rage and confusion.

"Well, it's true," Harry chortled as we reached the top of the marble staircase. "If he hadn't stolen Nevilles remembrall, we wouldn't be on the team-"

"So I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking rules?" came an angry voice from just behind us. I felt an arm link mine, and I jumped, my thoughts going to Malfoy. Looking around, I realised it was Mione, who gave me a confused look. I mouthed 'later', and she nodded, turning back to Harry.

"I thought you weren't speaking to us?" he said.

"Yes, don't stop now," said Ron. "It's doing us so much good."

Mione glared at them, and began to walk away, taking me with her. I quickly handed my broomstick to Ron, and followed her, waving back at them.

Harry rolled his eyes, but waved.

"What was that about?" Mione asked me, and I told her all about the Malfoy situation.

"Sounds like he might have a bit of a crush on you, Millie," she said when I had finished, our arms still linked.

"Malfoy? A crush on me? Definitely not," I replied, sniggering.

"I'm serious." Mione said, facing me. "All the boys do, you just don't see it. You're like, the most popular and prettiest girl in our year!"

"I am not! But still, why would Malfoy like me. He's an idiot."

"That's just his way of flirting. Plus, you and Harry flirt all the time. That's probably why he hates Harry - because he's jealous," Mione said, grinning.

"Yes, but I don't ask Potter to do that," I grumbled, kicking a small stone across the corridor.

Mione hummed. "I think he does it because he knows it winds you up."

"Well, he's right, it does."