43

MILLIES POV

So now we had something else to worry about; what might happen to Hagrid if anyone found out he was hiding an illegal dragon in his hut.

"Wonder what it's like to have a peaceful life," Ron sighed, as evening after evening we struggled through all the extra homework we were getting. Mione had now started making revision timetables for Harry and Ron too, after I politely refused. It was driving them mad.

Then, one breakfast time, Hedwig brought Harry another note from Hagrid. The snowy owl flew down and landed on my shoulder, dropping the note in front of Harry. I stroked her gently.

"I told her to bite you," Harry said, as the owl began nibbling my ear, "not do that."

"How kind of you."

"I'm just kidding." He laughed. "Wouldn't want to ruin your pretty face."

"Even if she did bite me," I said, "I'd still look better than you."

"Oh, I doubt that very mu-"

"Read it then!" Ron said impatiently.

"Right, sorry," Harry said, tearing his green eyes away from me.

The note had only two words: 'it's hatching'.

Harry and Ron wanted to skip Herbology and go straight down to the hut. Mione wouldn't hear of it.

"Mione, the boys have a point, how many times in our lives are we going to see a dragon hatching?" I reasoned, placing my hand on her arm.

"Millie! We've got lessons, we'll get into trouble, and that's nothing to what Hagrids going to be in when someone finds out what he's doing -"

"Shut up!" Harry whispered suddenly.

I looked up to see Malfoy only a few feet away and he had stopped dead to listen. How much had he heard?

I didn't like the look on his face at all.

Mione and Ron argued all the way down to Herbology, and in the end, Hermione agreed to run down to Hagrid's with us during morning break. When the bell sounded from the castle at the end of the lesson, the four of us dropped our trowels at once and went to leave, but before we could make it out of the door, a boy from our class rushed up to us.

"Millie!"

We all stopped and turned around.

"Erm - Hi?" I said.

"I'm Justin Finch-Fletchley," the boy said. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure," I said, smiling at him.

There was an awkward pause.

"I meant alone," Justin said, glancing at Harry.

"Oh, sure." I shrugged, before facing my three friends. "I'll meet you down there."

"But the dragon, you'll miss it," Harry said quietly.

"I won't be long," I reasoned.

"You can't do that," he said.

"Do what?"

"Go with Justin when we promised Hagrid we'd go to his!"

"Sounds like someones jealous," Mione said, stepping in between us. "Come on, lover boy." She winked at me, dragging Harry away.

I rolled my eyes, before turning to Justin, who was staring after them with an angry expression.

"Erm - what did you want to talk about?" I asked, as we began walking across the grounds.