55

MILLIES POV

I watched as Harry vanished into the darkness. He did not yell as he descended, so there was no way to know if he was okay or not. I sent Ron an anxious look, before straightening up and saying, "Ah, well - it was nice knowing him-"

"It's okay!" Harry's familiar voice called up. I let out a short breath, before quickly clamping my mouth shut. "It's a soft landing, you can jump!"

I moved to follow, but a warm hand on my shoulder stopped me. "Don't do anything stupid down there," Ron said. "Please be careful."

"Aren't I always?" I grinned, saluted him, before jumping down through the trap door. Cold, damp air rushed past me as I fell down, down, down and-

FLUMP.

With a funny, muffled sort of noise I landed on something soft. I sat up and looked around, my eyes not used to the gloom. It felt as though I was sitting on some sort of plant.

"This is cozy, isn't it?" I said, grimacing.

Harry laughed. "Yeah lovely."

Ron landed with a thump, opposite us. "What's this stuff?" were his first words.

"Dunno, sort of plant thing. I suppose it's here to break the fall. Come on, Hermione!" Harry shouted.
The distant music stopped. There was a loud bark from the dog, but Mione had already jumped. She landed next to Ron.

"We must be miles under the school," she said.

"Lucky this plant things here, really," Ron said.

"Lucky!" Mione shrieked. "Look at you all!"

She leapt up and struggled towards a damp wall. She had to struggle because the moment she had landed, the plant had started to twist snake-like tendrils around her ankles. As for Harry, Ron and I, our legs had already been bound tightly in long creepers without our noticing.

"Relashio!" I cried, pointing my wand at the plant, but it just loosened it around our legs for mere seconds, before it tightened its grip even harder.
Mione, who had been laying there for the least amount of time, managed to free herself due to my spell. Now she watched in horror as the three of us fought to pull the plant off us, but the more I strained against it, the faster and tighter the plant wound around us.

"Stop moving!" Mione ordered us. "I know what this is - it's devils snare!"

"Oh, I'm so glad we know what it's called, that's a great help!" snarled Ron, leaning back, trying to stop the plant curling around his head.

"Shut up, I'm trying to remember how to kill it!" said Mione.

"Well, hurry up, I can't breath!" Harry gasped, wrestling with it as it curled around my chest.

I fought against the devils snare as a part of it began wrapping itself slowly around my neck, it's thorns stabbing me and drawing blood. I felt my heart slow as the plant squeezed my neck tightly, and I grabbed hold of it, desperately trying to pull it off to stop it from strangling me.

"HERMIONE! HURRY UP!" I heard Harry yell.

We need light. I knew we needed light - Devils snare is afraid of it. I felt my eyes flutter shut as the plant squeezed tighter and tighter, the more blood I lost. I could vaguely hear the shouts of the others, but it was like they were distant. Using all my strength, I pointed my wand at the plant, and croaked, "Relashio" again, which gave me just enough time to choke, "Light!"

"Yes - of course - but there's no wood!" Mione cried, wringing her arms. My head pounded painfully.

"HAVE YOU GONE MADE?" Ron bellowed. "ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?"