Life dangling by the fingertips, Part 2

"MARINETTE!" Damian called out, as he watched her gasp for air. He roared in anger, and finally managed to get an arm loose enough to initiate forward, knocking out the assassins around him. He ran forward, and was about to catch the girl his grandfather was about to drop, but Talia held him back. Ra's picked up the unconscious girl by the back of the collar on her shirt. He wrinkled his nose at her.

"Huh, she's rather a pretty thing to kill. Damian, who is she?" Damian somehow managed to subdue his mother and rushed forward, eager to grab her, but Ra's held a small blade to her throat. "Stay back child. Who is this?" Damian glared at his grandfather with all the hate he could muster from every bone in his body. He planted his feet down onto the ground, in anger.

"Grandfather, unhand Dupain Cheng. She is rather useful, and quite capable." Ra's laughed.

"Well that's obvious, child, according to her great skill I've seen, but who is she to you? She must be pretty important for you to dishonor your family, go against your people, and subdue your mother. Which I am still shocked that you were stong enough to." Damian ignored the backhanded compliment, and balled his hands into fists.

"Grandfather, this is Marinette Dupain Cheng. She is intelligent, capable, and an excellent warrior. She holds the power of the gods in her own very hands." Ra's rose his eyebrows.

"This girl, holds the power of the gods in her very blood, you say?" Damian held up a hand.

"Before you think about using her blood, it does not work that way. She, and she alone can harness the power because she has been blessed with it. Grandfather, please put her down." Damian pleaded, stepping forward. Ra's scoffed.

"Look at you. You've become weak, undisciplined, and you've destroyed the soldier you once were. Now I order you to tell me, who she is to you." Damian let out a shaky breath he didn't know he was holding.

"She's my soulmate. And my girlfriend. And it would be beneficial to us both if you were to unhand her. I'd hate to have to go against father's code, but for her, it's worth it." he spat. Ra's smirked to his grandson.

"Fine. Let's have a challenge shall we? Let's take a chance. You have two minutes, to get her to a lazarus pit before she dies, starting," he dragged the blade across her neck, tearing the skin, and crimson blood poured over her porcelain skin. "Now." he dropped the girl and stood aside. Damian glared at his grandfather, but quickly scooped her into his arms and ran into the building, torward where he once knew the pit to be. He wouldn't make it in time. He knew this. Plagg flew out and beside Damian as he ran.

"Kid, transform. You'd be faster. Keep running as you go." Damian ignored the tears streaming down his face.

"PLAGG, CLAWS OUT!" he shouted as he continued to run, not looking down at his dying beloved in his arms. He swiftly kicked down the door that led to the pit, and all but flew down the stairwell, down far beneath the ground and the building. He saw the bright green acid pit, and did not hesitate, to walk her into it. His arms shakily lowered her body into the cold, green poison, for as long as he felt was necessary, and then pulled her out, before it could damage her any further. He pulled her body out and dragged it to the concrete surrounding the pit. Her wounds have healed, but she had no heartbeat. Damian dropped to his knees, and tried to do CPR and as much as he possibly could, to bring her back. But she was unresponsive. He took her face in his hands, eyes filled with pain as he clutched her shoulders, bringing her up to him. He cradled her once warm, and energetic body in his arms, and just sat there, sobbing into her hair. He kissed her forehead, the crown of her head, and contiued to cry. He quickly muttered the detransformation, and continued.

"I'm so sorry beloved, I have failed you. It's my fault Marinette. It's my fault, my love. Please come back to me." he ran his thumb, tenderly over her cold cheek. He felt the part of him that was new, and he has come to enjoy, shatter, leaving a hole of the new man he had become. He clutched at his chest with one arm, pain shooting through. He let the pain numb, and sink in, doing nothing to stop it. He placed one last loving kiss on her lips, and placed his forehead against hers. "I love you Marinette. I'm sorry, but I am not allowed to love. It's just not meant for me. I apologize that you had to go through this. I should have never brought my bad luck to you." he grabbed her hand in his own shaky ones. "Please forgive me. I never meant for this to happen. It's just that everyone I love, eventually dies in my hands. Just please come back to me." he placed a kiss on the back of her hand, and held it up to his cheek. "I-I can't do this alone anymore." he whispered, and placed her hand down gently back in her lap. He looked up at her face. "Why aren't you coming back, Habibiti? Do you not love me back? Do you not want me? Am I not good enough? I thought I would be good enough for you, but it's too good to be true. I don't deserve you. And you don't deserve to be put through all the pain and torment I have caused you."

AN: Oof, dramatic much Damian? Geez. Just gonna say, yeah, I know I don't have a soul, but yeah hahahhaha later!