Hello, Stranger.

Listen to the music above for a heightened experience.

@iamhannahlashay as Celeste Soros

"We've been divided by an oceanHad a hundred things in motionSaid you barely recognize me (clap)

Had a hundred things in motion
Said you barely recognize me (clap)

Yeah, I've been gone for quite a while
But can we just reconcile
No, I never meant to leave you

I was busy but I promise you the next time
You won't feel like I forgot about you (clap)

I know it's far but just remember
I'll be back home in November
I won't miss you 'til I see the smoke"

-"Blowback" by Galimatias

_

I shouldn't have called. I knew this would happen.

At this moment, I'm sitting alone in my family's diner at 1 am, way past closing time, waiting for a person that probably wasn't even going to show up.
Ridiculous.

Honestly, even though he said he would, I should have known he wasn't going to show. I mean, what did I expect from a rising Hollywood star that has been touted as the "next Denzel Washington" by damn near everyone in the entertainment industry?
He was a busy man and even though I wanted to be consistently angry with him for not keeping in touch, for not showing up tonight, and most especially, for leaving. I was more proud than anything.

Trevante and I have known each other since we were babies. We were born at the same hospital, went to all the same schools (up until college) and our mothers were attached at the hip, much like we were. I think that's what made our separation after high school harder. Having to see his mom almost every single day, her asking if he's called or texted or at least Facebook messaged me and the answer being no. But I always answered yes. Partly because I didn't want her to be upset with him, and partly because I wanted it to be true.

He was my best friend, my confidant, my first kiss, and I haven't seen him since my 18th birthday, the day he...touched me. I'm 25 now. 7 years have gone by without a single word from my old friend and I know they say out of sight, out of mind, but I missed him more than ever these days. Sometimes I would get angry when I saw his face on tv, but that anger would melt away when I would look in his eyes and see that he was still the same. Even through the screen I could feel it.

I still never watched Moonlight.

Lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice the chime of the bell on the door that announced entry. I had no clue anyone stepped in until I looked up and across the table and saw...him.