Look What You Made Me Do.

Listen to the audio above for a heightened experience.

@goldskinned as Reporter Lucky Hwang

-Glad to be out of the blazing Atlanta sun and in the cool, air conditioned building of the district attorney's office, I smiled with relief as I approached the office secretary to let my presence be known

-
Glad to be out of the blazing Atlanta sun and in the cool, air conditioned building of the district attorney's office, I smiled with relief as I approached the office secretary to let my presence be known.

As an investigative journalist and reporter, my job was to gather and disseminate information about recent or important local and global events. Sounds easy right? Wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, sometimes it was fairly simple and straight forward, but times like this when I had to chase down folks and schedule appointments for meetings weeks in advance, it got a bit hectic. Especially when I wasn't sure if the person I expended so much energy on was going to give me important intel, you know, the juice. Or tea. Whatever you wanna call it. I was notorious in the district for being a heavy hitter when it came to my line of questioning, and I was pretty proud of that fact. The people I canvassed? Not so much.

"Hi! Good afternoon" I quipped, "I'm Lucky Hwang, investigative reporter for the DeKalb County Telegraph. I scheduled a meeting with the new district attorney about 3 weeks ago for this day at 5pm to discuss the details of the shooting that happened at the Peachtree Center mall." I glanced down at my apple watch and smiled internally, 4:45pm, I was on it today.

The slender, well dressed, salt and pepper-haired woman smiled at me warmly and wrapped her shawl tighter around her body, with her low-cut hair and warm aura, she reminded me of my halmeoni.
"Ah yes! I remember your voice, dear. I'll give him a call and let him know you're here."

While she did that I decided to give my poor, tired feet a rest and sat in one of the available seats across from her desk. Listening to her speak quietly, I smoothed out my skirt, sat my briefcase in my lap, and awaited approval to head to the D.A's workspace.

After she had finished with the phone call, she diligently wrote something down on a card and stood up from her desk, walking towards me with a regretful look on her face.

Fuck.

"Ms. Hwang, dear, I'm sorry to inform you that attorney Rhodes cannot meet with you today. He's needed at the precinct and would like to reschedule for a later date, to discuss details of when exactly, he proposes you call that number. It's his mobile work line so he should be able to answer after office hours and the two of you can speak off the record."

"Okay, that's not a problem at all. Thank you so much for your help today." I give her a small smile as she rubs my arm and hands me the card.