Gentleman.

Listen to the audio above for a heightened experience. (No really, the song is fire.)

Vivalarae as Kika LaCour

-

You know it's winter somewhere
But it's spring time right here
You need me to water the grass before it all disappears
Said you're sick of that high school shit
You need a college degree
So you took all your frustration to me

Tell me, have you ever had a gentleman?
If not, then girl you deserve a gentleman
Eat you out for dinner like a gentleman
Knock before I enter like a gentleman

-

"Fuck!" I whispered into the dark as tears of frustration pooled in my tired eyes. It was 4am in the morning and I had come downstairs to grab a glass of water and was subsequently subjected to the pain of having my freshly manicured toenail jam against something hard and heavy. Something that was probably left by my idiot roommate slash ex fiancé after he got home in a cross-faded stupor and passed out on the couch an hour earlier, a typical occurrence on any day that ends with a y.

Switching on the lights with a sigh of defeat so I could see the damage, I realized that I had accidentally kicked a pair of steel toed boots that he formerly used for work, when he actually had a job.

"Are you trying to kill me?" My hoarse, previously at rest voice croaked out towards the couch as I adjusted my glasses.

"Turn off the lights, man." He slurred, using one of the throw pillows to cover his head. "I'll clean it up when I get up, don't worry 'bout it."

"And when is that? 4 in the afternoon as usual?" I retorted.

Holding the pillow away from his head for a second, he kissed his teeth. "See this is why we broke up, you always actin' like somebody's mama."

Right, we broke up because of that and not because you're useless in every way imaginable.

"I'm way too tired to argue with you, Dre."

Trudging up the stairs, I looked back at him laying precariously across the couch and felt myself hunch over in disappointment. The only reason I hadn't kicked his bum ass out was because of our history and the fact that he literally had no one else in his corner.

Dre and I were high school sweethearts, the kids that everyone just knew were going to get married and have babies straight outta college. People loved us together. And in retrospect, that was probably the reason why I loved him. However, that love turned sour when we graduated from college, the proverbial lala land of your youth, and stepped into the real world. Hindsight is 20/20.