𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 13

Bokuto canceled the group study for the day so you went straight home after finishing your shift.

You ran around in your pajama with a towel over you head, just getting out of a hot shower.

You walked to the kitchen and accidentally kicked a box under the table. You bent down to grab it and read the receipt.

"Oh, right. Dad said mom sent me a package."

You slit the tape with a scissor and took out its contents. Most of them were comestibles, like canned food and local snacks. She also got your favorite snack that came in many flavors.

You stored them in the cabinets and refrigerator, keeping one pack of organic white rose tea with you to try it out.

With the amount of supply you had, you could save your money for not buying groceries next week. Maybe you could spend it on that one item you had always wanted.

You put the stove on low heat and scurried upstairs to get your phone.

Fifty new unread messages (and still coming) spammed the floating notifications. It kept on showing after you had swiped it many times.

You ignored the group chat for now because you wanted to give your mother a call. You placed the phone on your ear as you returned to the kitchen.

As the call connected, a softly spoken voice answered from the other side.

"Hello?"

"Hey, mom. It's me. I received your package, thank you for the food. [fav snack] especially."

"Oh, wonderful! I hope they arrived safely. I was strolling through the local shops lately and found some great products that I thought you would like. I could send more of those for you."

"That would be great..."

Your voice faded out, feeling a lump of 'I'd like it better if you come home with it' that stuck at the back of your throat.

"-I'll send you some of the ingredients from here. Don't go eating instant food regularly."

Her sentence seemed to have cut off in the beginning. You didn't listen to what she was talking about as you were zoning out.

You had been thinking of asking her to come home, but you always felt discouraged when she sounded happier where she's at.

"Oh, it's okay mom. I could just buy stuff here."

You repeatedly tapped the tea box with your fingernail, weighing the choices of whether to speak about it.

"So mom, you're doing better there?"

"Yeah, it's been great. Your grandmother keeps saying that I should've brought you along but I told her that you are busy with school."

"I'd love to visit during the holiday," you played with your hair, "Will I be seeing you soon?"

For a moment, you could hear her shaky breathing through the phone. Perhaps you shouldn't get your hopes up.

"I don't think so, honey. I'll be staying here for a little while longer."

"Okay... when will you be back?"

"Later, I promise."

You already considered her answer as a no and wouldn't hold on too much to that promise.

You replied a short "Okay" and had the urge to end the call right there.

"Best of luck with your studies. I know you're a smart girl. Let me know what you need, I'll send them from over here."

"Yeah, sure."

"I'll see you around, sweetie."

You stayed quiet until the line went dead.

The kettle blew a loud whistle from its spout, distracting your mind at the right time. You turned the fire off and put the tea box away, no longer in the mood to have anything.

You looked at your phone before stretching your arm back about to hurl it against the wall. But you didn't.

You walked back to your room, eyes narrowing from having a hard time swallowing. Then, you simply collapsed once you reached the bed.

Your phone vibrated from a new e-mail notification.

You brought your phone up to your face and just skimmed over the text. Well, that was the plan until you had to collect all the remnants of your rational thoughts to reply to this very important mail.

╔═════════════════════╗

From: kita.shin@xxmail.jp
To: [name]@xxmail.jp
Subject: Training Camp Invitation

----

Greetings,

My name is Kita Shinsuke, team captain of Inarizaki High volleyball team from  Hyogo. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, miss.

I have received your contact from one of my teammates. They believe you are the person responsible for the management of Fukurodani volleyball team.

We are impressed by your astounding feat during the Nationals and would like to invite you to our training camp here in Hyogo.

Further details are in order, please kindly reply to this email concerning your decision.

Sincerely,
Inarizaki team captain.

═════════════════════

From: [name]@xxmail.jp
To: kita.shin@xxmail.jp
Subject: re:Training Camp Invitation

----

Dear Captain Kita Shinsuke,

Thank you for this invitation mail.

My name is [full name] and I am the manager of the Fukurodani boys volleyball team. I'd like to express my gratitude for the humble remark.

I'm surprised to have received an invitation through my email. Generally for training camps, the respective club faculties of the schools will manage the matter, however, I'm honored on behalf of my team and will forward this to the club advisor so he could approve of the invitation :)

I will surely let you know once it has been confirmed.

Sincerely,
Manager of the Fukurodani VBC

╚═════════════════════╝

You thoroughly re-read the draft twice to make sure your reply was made from the right side of your mind.

Once it had been sent, you rolled on the bed and dug under the blanket to have a quiet weep by yourself.

──────────

The team captain of Inarizaki fiddled his feet under the table while reading the latest mail he had just received.

He let out a small 'Oh' after being informed of the necessary procedure for inviting a school for a training camp. He sincerely believed he had done it right.

"Hmm... I guess Atsumu and Osamu lied to me."

He looked through the other two drafts that were ready to be sent to another schools' team captains.

"I guess I need to ask for the coach's help for the other two invitations."

He began writing on a piece of paper when a pale, wrinkled hand raked his hair from behind.

Kita's gaze softened to find her endearing grandmother.

"Shin-chan, do you want to have a cup of green tea?"

He smiled fondly, "I would love it. Ah, let me help you with that."

***