Changes

Iyana's mother was silet as she drove her to Avery University. She was afriad if she tried to say something to her daughter, she would cry. Her mother remembered how she was when she was young; running around the house in her fathers cap. He would have been proud. She was so grown, independent and ready for the world. She glanced over to her daughter and she sat there, trying to keep her smile down. She didn't want her mother to think she was happy to leave but she was estatic to go.

Avery was the best college in state and Iyana had a full scholarship. Her brother, Tyreke, also made sure that she came. He always wanted his cookie at his side. When they were young, he always led her around and protected her. Now he was going to be able to take care of his cookie again. But truthfully, Iyna wasn't looking for Tyreke to babysit her.

The car came to a hault. As soon as the keys were out the ignition, Iyana was out the car and to the trunk to get her bags. One on her shoulder, two in her hand. She closed the trunk with her elbow and breathed in the warm air of Atlanta. Iyana looked around at all the people entering doors and hugging their parents. Even though she was in Atlanta the college was predominantly white. She wondered how her bother dealt with it.

"Well...", Iyana's mother said but she couldn't find the words to say. She put her hand over her mouth and began to cry. "No mama.", Iyana said and pulled her mother in for a hug. She rocked back and forth and Iyana rubbed her mother's back. Tyreke came up between them saying,"Can I get some love?" They make a triangle hugging each other. Mother held him back so she could look at Tyreke. "You've grown boy! A little mustache and all!", Iyana excaimed and Tyreke laughed, picked her up, and twirled her around. "Come on gimmie some of those bags.", he said and took the bags off her arms. "Bye mom!", Iyana said as she walked off with her brother.

"Ya know, I could have carried those myself.",Iyana told her brother. "Ha! Your little self would've collapsed under the weight.", Tyreke remarked. Iyana replied,"I am a woman of the ninty's! A woman of the ne-"

"Sis, you ain't even a woman yet."

Iyana turned around walking backwards laughing. All of this reminded her of how she used to laugh with her brother before he left. When he did leave, it was one of th saddest days ever.

"Uh!", Iyana grunted when she ran into a wall. "Iyana.", he brother said as he pulled her close to her. It was no wall she bumped into, it was a guy. Tattoos covered most of his arms. Head completely shaved. No life in his eyes. "Keep ya little freshman in line.", he told Tyreke. Tyreke put Iyana behind him and got in the boy's face and said,"Man, step." The boy bumped him while leaving with two other mean looking boys behind him.

Tyreke walked on but Iyana quickly stopped him. "Who was that?! How you just let him diss you like that?!", she asked. "Iyana!", Tyreke said but lowered his voice once he realized he was screaming,"He's the leader of the whites. Matthew. You don't need to be messin' around with them."

"So what is this? A race war?!", Iyana asked impatiently.

"Yes! Ok!", he answered screaming again.

"Well if he's the leader of the whites then is there a black one?"

"Yes...me."