The Sixth Sense

Iynana was sleeping when she heard a thumping. She at first just thought it was audio from her dream, but the second time, when she woke up, she realized someone was knocking at the door. Iyana looked at Jaenay before she answered the door and she was still asleep. She cracked open the door to Landon standing there in a coat, jeans, and boots. "Hey I was wondering if you wanted to go out." Iyana tightened her robe around her,"At... eleven- forty at night?!". Landon laughed and shrugged his shoulders. "Hold on a sec."

Iyana and Landon both sat in his car smiling. It wasn't official but they both knew it was a date. "You know,", Landon said breaking the silence," you're just completely ballsy." Iyana laughed ,"Oh my god! Yeah that's what every girl wants to hear."

"Well that's something that I like about you." "

And I like that you're taking the time to get to know me and not stereotype me off of my skin color."

While walking into the movie theater, the two held hands. People looked at them like they were from another planet. I don't know about this, Iyana thought. They had almost gotten into a fight at the dorm party so who knows what would have happened here. "Don't worry about them.", Landon reassured Iyana and held her hand tighter.

"Excuse me, Hi.", Landon greeted the ticket handler,"Two for The Sixth Sense." "Where is the other person?", The woman behind the screen asked. "She's right here.",Landon said holding up their intertwined hands and Iyana made an obvious face. The woman laughed and said an insincere,"Sorry."

Soon Landon and Iyana made it to the second ticket handler. He too was white. Going from the left, it was the ticket handler, Iyana, then Landon. When they finally got to the front of the line, the man reached over Iyana as she held out her ticket, and over to Landon. Landon jerked his ticket back out of the man's reach. "Her ticket's out. Ladies first." The man sighed and took Iyana's ticket. Then Landon passed his ticket to Iyana for the man to check. Landon bought the popcorn and the two went inside the movie.

After the movie started, Iyana began to talk. "I can't believe the mother did that to her own child. I would never do something like that to my children." Iyana shivered as movie theaters are always cold. She heard ruffling and looked to Landon and he was taking of his jacket. "No you don't have to do that.", she said. "I want to.", He replied putting the jacket around her shoulders.

"Landon, it's kinda a touchy question,"Iyana started,"but why doesn't your brother like us?" Landon thought about if he wanted to tell Iyana but he did, sighed and said,"When we were younger our family had a hard time when my dad lost his job. He lost it to a black man. Now I guess he just thinks that blacks kinda...are bad or bring bad luck or something. But what you said in class was right, you all deserve to prosper." Iyana smiled and leaned in on his shoulder.

Landon walked Iyana back to her dorm room. Before they almost passed it up talking, Iyana said,"Oh this is me." They now stood face to face. "Besides everyone being an asshole, I had a really great time.", said Landon. "Me too." Landon began to lean in for a kiss but Iyana held her finger up to block him. "No, no, no. Not on the first date." Landon laughed,"Ya killing me girl!" Iyana waved,"Bye."

She walked into the apartment and did what all girls do after an awesome date with a guy: she slid her back down the door bitting her lip in excitement. Then the light flashed on. Jaenay looked puzzled with frazzled hair squinting at Iyana. "You went out? With who?", she asked. "Landon.", she sang. Jaenay sat up in bed and rubbed her eyes.

Iyana wondered why she was so tired, looked at the clock and realized it was three- forty-six. "Wasn't everybody given you hell when they looked your way?", Jaenay asked and Iyana nodded yes. "Did you care?", Jaenay asked. Iyana replied,"No." "Then I'm fine with y'all two fools in love but let me get some rest.", Jaenay said and threw the covers back over her head.