Back to Reality

Iyana still wasn't over what had happened at Landon's house. She was quieter now and didn't want to speak much. The cab that she took stopped in front of Avery University. She paid the cab driver and got out of the car.

For some reason when she walked through the courtyard to her dorm, she could feel all eyes on her. She looked up from the ground and saw girls whispering covering their mouthed and then laughing. She struggled up the Stairs with her bags and down the hall to her room.

In the hallway, Tyreke stopped her. Iyana was surprised he wanted to talk to her, let alone be in her presence. "How was your Christmas?” he asked not even making eye contact. Iyana replied, “I don't know, it was alright. How are you and mom?".”She doesn't really want to talk about it.” Iyana sighed and walked around Tyreke and went into her room.

Jaenay still wasn't there. Iyana didn't even know when and if she was coming back. The room felt empty without her. Iyana remembered when she first came into the room and saw Jaenay sitting on her bed laughing on the phone.

She walked over and fingered her name in long letters. Even thought Jaenay was gone, hopefully, she wouldn't leave without her name.

Iyana set her bags down and opened the first one. She began to unpack her bags and put the clothes into drawers. Then she heard the door open. Iyana say Jaenay standing in the door way. She looked the same but then again she didn't.

Her hair and clothes were the same but in her eyes all life was gone. She must have been really close to her dad and what happened before she left didn’t help anything. Jaenay and Iyana's eyes met and they both began to cry.

"Jaenay I missed you. I'm so sorry.” Iyana said embracing her. "Nothing that happened was your fault.” Jaenay said in a quieter voice than usual. Iyana realized that Jaenay was different in that moment. “No, Jaenay. I could have been there or something. I’m trying to get whoever did this arrested”. Jaenay replied, “No. Arrest no one. It was my fault I shouldn’t have gotten drunk and run off.” Iyana retaliated, “No! Getting raped is no one’s fault!”  Jaenay took Iyana by the shoulder and told her to leave it at rest.

Something happened to Jaenay during her little break. Was it being scared from her dad’s death and/or the rape? Or did somebody put that stupid notion in her head? Either way it was almost like meeting a totally different person.

Jaenay switched the subject and said, “So what really happened with you and Landon?” Iyana, stunned turned around and said, “What do you mean really? What do you know?” Jaenay, always being in the know answered, “I can’t believe you don’t know. There is a rumor going around and it says that you gave Landon STDs over the break and that you took his virginity.”

Iyana threw her clothes down on the bed in disgust at what Jaenay said. At that point her brother and Matthew were the only ones who knew that Iyana was with Landon over the break and Matthew was the only one who would do that to her. Iyana went on, “if you tell I’ll kill you.’. Jaenay leaned in loving gossip.

“He took my virginity and we used a condom so no one has STDs.” Jaenay sighed in relief and also that it wasn’t as juicy as she wanted. But all Iyana was thinking about was Landon and Matthew. At that point she realized that Matthew was just an evil person. It would probably be best for Iyana to avoid Landon until things die down.

Going to and from class, she walked outside instead of through the building like Landon and she usually did. Everyone still staring at her.

During lunch she didn’t’ sit with Landon and the rest of Gray. She lay in her bed staring at the ceiling. Soon she got up and looked down at the courtyard. She was glad to see that Gray was still happy without her. Landon caught her eye and as closed the curtain.

Matthew saw Landon go upstairs to check on Iyana. A few minutes later Landon was knocking on the door. “Babe! What’s going on?” She could hear Landon’s voice through the door and pillow her head was shoved in. “Not now Landon.” She said. After a few seconds later, Iyana head Landon’s footsteps retreating.

Matthew smiled when Landon came back down the stairs with no one at his side.