Settling on a Battlefield

Iyana remembered what her brother looked like. When they were younger, his cheeks were so rosey and he would always smile. He would smile so much that he would block out his vision with his cheeks and look like he was squinting. Of course, she expected him to change, you know lose the baby fat and grow some hair. But then, staring at him outside her dorm room, she saw another person, through his eyes.

"Well you straight so I'll go. Ninty's woman.", He said trying to tell a joke and lighten the mood but Iyana thought it was anything but funny. With a completely straight look on her face, Iyana took her bags. She was disappointed in her brother. But he was different now, and she was gonna have to deal with that.

Iyana was appalled when she opened the door. There was a girl with the largest dookie braids in the world. She was talking on the phone saying,"Yeah girl, Deshayn too stupid! Hehe!", she laughed in response to whatever someone else was saying. Above her, on a shelf, there was a sculpture of the name 'Jaenay' (Ja-nay). What Iyana was apalled by was that Jaenay had left her clothes all over her side of the bed.

"Excuse me can you move all of that?", Iyana asked trying not to offened her. She wasn't looking for any trouble with this girl.

"Yeah girl.", Jaenay answered and instead of puttin the clothes in a drawer, she threw them on the floor. The clothes were on her side of the room and now, at least, they weren't on Iyana's bed.

Iyana sat her bags down an stretched out her hand,"Hi, I'm Iyana.", she greeted. Jaenay gasped and it surprized Iyana. "You da one that erverybody was talkin about." Iyana sat on Jaenay's bed intrigued,"What? Who said what?"

"Girl everyone know you. I was just up in the administration office, and people was saying that you was gon start some stuff in the war! With your brother and all."

"I am not geting into any of that. I don't even know my brother like I thought, let alone why he's doing this.

"Well just be careful. People gunnin for you."

Iyana got up and looked out the window. Their room had a view of the courtyard. She couldn't see faces but she could see light and dark. She spotted Tyreke walking out of the dorm; he must have made it downstairs by now. Tyreke actually walked around the white section and into his own. The campus was literally segregated.