Into the Routine

Jaenay came back from the shower flinging her braids all over the room. "Oh girl I'm sorry." she apologized,"Hey I saw your schedule on the wall we both takin' American History. We gon sit by each other." Iyana didn't really look forward to sitting next to Jaenay; she didn't want to get a worse reputation than she had already started out with. But she was willing to give her roommate a chance.

Iyana seemed to have gotten ready faster than Jaenay so she decided that she would get an early start to class. "Bye Jaenay, See you at class.", She called to let Jaenay know she was leaving. "Wait a second.", Jaenay said. "Jaenay you don't have to rush for me. You have plenty of time." She came out of the restroom pulling up her shirt saying,"No girl. You can't just go walking around. Who don't know what gon happen. Remember that: always travel with ya girl.", She said referring herself.

This angered Iyana inside. How could you not be safe, from other students, on a college campus? Having to walk with someone was stupid and it seemed that it was going on for a while. When she opened the door, not only blacks, but whites were walking in pairs or groups of threes giving each other sideways glares. "Let's just go.", Iyana said.

Iyana and Jaenay sat next to each other and pulled up their desk. "Oh I always wanted to have one of these!", Jeanay said. She then played with it pulling it in and out repeatedly. Iyana laughed at the immaturity of her roommate. She found a guy smirking at her. Iyana blushed and realized he was chewing gum. "No gum.", she whispered to him. He chuckled and turned around. The thing about him was that he was white. He looked familiar but most of all, he wasn't held back by these stupid racial barriers.

"Hello class.", a professor greeted them. He had a large briefcase, a coat and coffee and seemed to be struggling with it all. There was a large murmuring in the room once everyone saw that the professor was African American. Some black kids dapped each other, and other white kids smacked there lips. One white guy even got up and left. The gum chewing boy just laughed. He set it down on his desk, came around it and sat on the edge. "Now we're gonna nip this in the bud right now. What's up with this race war? Do y'all even know why y'all are doing this?", he asked and it was a good question. Iyana was glad that someone was addressing it.

Matthew, next to the gum chewer, stood up and commented,"All of you blacks are coming into our lives, taking our jobs and our homes. All this affirmative action shit. You all just need to go back where you came from."

It was now time for Iyana to have her say. "Well,", she countered,"You all brought us here as slaves because of our ability that your people seemed to have been lacking." There was a light laugh throughout the crowd. "As people we desire to prosper and that's why we have affirmative action. I mean wouldn't you want to be treated equally after almost two hundred years of slavery and segregation?" The Matthew sat back down and there was a larger laughter in the room. The gum chewer smirked at her and turned back around.