18 - The death of a vampire

"Now go and stake some vamps

"Now go and stake some vamps. Especially the sparkly emo ones."
-Kevin Hearne

Anna looked from the white statue to her scratch-pad, absently tucking a curly lock of hair behind her ear. She was not surprised when Lisa sat next to her on the soil. The grass of the Botanical Garden was wet, it had probably just rained. Anna was sketching the statue in front of her; a man with a beard in old-fashioned clothes. Lisa wondered why, by the Angel, Anna wanted to make a drawing of an old man. But she knew it was a way of relaxation for her.

"How's it going?" Anna shook her head and pushed the sketchbook away from her in frustration. Lisa wanted to say the sketch looked nice, but she wouldn't believe that anyway. "About what you said this morning," Lisa hesitated for a moment, "about becoming a parabatai?"

"Have you changed your mind?" Anna didn't sound disappointed or she could hide it well.

"No, that's not it," she quickly said, "did you really mean you want to be my parabatai? I mean it's something big and important, it's for life-"

"Lisa." She held her hand in the air to silence her, then paused herself. "I would not want anything else." Her voice was firm, which made her smile.

"I guess we should go and tell your parents." Anna's face clouded and she opened her mouth, but she would never know what she had to say. The sound of her ringtone came from her bag, Anna looked over her shoulder at the screen. It was Edwyn, she knitted her eyebrows and pressed the green button.

"What is going on?" She and Edwyn were good friends, but he never called her, she didn't even know he had a phone. Anna gave her a questioning look, apparently neither did she. Lisa's heart was beating faster than usual. He wasn't the kind of person to call for small talk. Something must be seriously wrong. She listened to Edwyn's hurried explanation and continued to listen to the beep when he hung up in a daze.

A pair of cool blue eyes stared at her thoughtfully. "Did something happen?" Lisa swallowed and nodded slowly.

"Yes, there is a problem with the vampires. Edwyn asked if we could come as soon as possible." Anna had already gotten up, took an elastic band from her wrist, and made a ponytail. Lisa saw her whip - which was twisted around her waist like a belt - shining in the dim sunlight.

"What exactly did he say? Is it something serious?"

"He didn't give any further explanation, but he wouldn't call for a trifle." Anna turned a page in her sketchbook and tore it out, she hastily started drawing on it.

"Now is not the time to start drawing," Lisa shouted more frustrated than intended. Anna shook her head, Lisa only understood what she was doing when Anna drew a rune at the bottom of the page which turned it into flames.

"A fire message to warn mom." Lisa nodded, picked up her bow as they walked out of the garden together.

*