4 - Habits

"I like this place and could willingly waste my time in it."
-William Shakespeare

The rest of the morning they did what they normally do. Lotte trained: fighting and running. Maxim read or helped Jonathan with chores. Jonathan usually went to the armoury, cleaning weapons, or he trained with Lotte. Anna read or played the violin. Lisa also usually read, sometimes she tried to "invent" things. As the others called it, she had transformed a room of the Institute into a kind of workplace.

She tried to repair her bow, which the Raum had broken in two. Lisa already knew that it wasn't possible, the bow would never be strong enough. With a sigh, she laid it down and looked at her crafting table. There were arrows on it, that was her new project, she had made the arrowheads so for specific targets. Arrowheads of iron, that burns elves. Other arrows with arrowheads of silver: to burn werewolves. There are also arrows against vampires: with arrowheads of sacred metal. And of course, arrows with runes, which hurts demons. She was still looking for something against warlocks and she thought of something with water.

Warlocks have magical powers, they can cast spells just like wizards, because they are the children of a demon and a mundane. Lisa didn't know why, but their strength just doesn't work near water. Shadowhunters and downworlders can usually get along, but you never know.

Lisa didn't hear that someone knocked on the door, Anna came in and looked over Lisa's shoulder to the arrows.
"New project?"

"Different arrows for different targets," Lisa explained, looking up at Anna.

"How do you see the difference?"

"I gave the feathers a different colour. Red for vampires, green for elves and blue for werewolves."

"Wow, you really had to think about that, eh? ' Anna mocked. She leaned against the table and had a crooked smile on her face.

"What do you want? I'm quite busy." Lisa unnecessarily started to arrange all arrows with the same colour.

"Dad and mom are arriving soon, are you coming?"

Lisa nodded and got up. She followed Anna through the hallway.

Marianne and Richard were coming back with a Portal from Idris and they were meeting them in the garden. In the corridor, Anna suddenly grabbed her wrist.

"Oh no, my hair." Her hands went to her head.
"Do you want to come to my room with me?" Anna's parents hated it when she had floppy hair, Lisa didn't know why, she thought it was pretty.

Anna took her to her room, Lisa noticed she was still limping. In her room, Anna grabbed a brush, combed her hair and skillfully braided it. She usually wore it like that, Lisa waited patiently on Anna's bed until she was ready.

"Do I have to fix your hair?" Lisa looked at her hair, she had combed it this morning, but it was already knotted again.

"Yes, a bit," she said with a crooked smile.

"Turn around." Lisa was sitting cross-legged on Anna's bed while she was combing her hair.

After a minute she said: "Done, look." Anna grabbed a small mirror from her cupboard and gave it to her. Her brown hair was in a beautiful bun, Anna was much better with hair than she was, that was clear.

"Beautiful, thanks." Lisa gave Anna the smile that was only meant for her. 
"We need to go to the garden now." Anna looked at her watch and nodded.

"We're already five minutes too late."

*

Jonathan had trained together with Lot – she had become really good at sword fighting – after three hours he had gone to the garden with her, awaiting their parents. Max, Anna and Lis weren't there yet.

"I've heard you locked your brother up in his room, again," Jonathan said with an angry look at Lot. She avoided his gaze and his question.
At that time, Max arrived, with a comic in his hands.

"Ah, Max, can you tell me what you think of your sister locking you in your room?" Max shrugged, dropped himself against a wall and started reading. 
"Am I the only one here who wants to talk? " Jonathan stood up. 
"Then I'll have to talk to myself. And how are you Mr. Starkweather?" 
"It's quite lonely here, but besides that, good. And you Mr. Starkweather?"

"Can I interrupt your monologue?" Anna and Lisa were finally there.

"Why are you talking to yourself?" This came from Lisa, she had her hair in a bun, Jonathan thought it suited her. She looked very nice today, with her blue dress and silver necklace. Jonathan briefly shook his head.

"I talk to myself, because these two," he gestures to Max and Lot, "do not want to talk to me or to each other." Lot stuck out her tongue at him, he did the same.

At that moment, the Portal appeared.

______________
A shorter chapter for once, hope you liked it.
Let me know in the comments!
Read the next chapter -->

And remember: Trust no one