37 - Fallen stars

"Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires

"Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires."
-William Shakespeare

As if he'd just run a marathon, Jonathan stopped in the middle of the hall to catch his breath. He was completely lost after Lisa's touch. Only now did he realise that running away wasn't the best idea. He knew she had nightmares in her sleep, he should stay with her and protect her.

Determined, Jonathan turned back and marched to her door. The wooden planks creaked uncomfortably loudly under his feet as he knocked. Somehow he longed to watch the moon by her side all night. The thought alone brought a smile to his face.

When there was no answer, he opened the door and stuck his head through the doorway. Jonathan could hear the crickets chirping, the rest of the house was silent. The stark white curtains were moved slightly by a gentle night breeze, the window to the balcony was still open.

"Lisa?" He walked cheerfully to the window. It wasn't until he realised the balcony was deserted that his smile faded. He looked alarmed over the balustrade, not a single trace of the girl. That couldn't be true, why would she just disappear? Jonathan ran a hand through his hair, panicking slightly. It could also be that she hadn't disappeared of her own volition, but he tried to banish that possibility from his mind.

Hopes that Lisa was unharmed were dashed as Anna ran into the room, closely followed by Olivia. He was given a confused look, his presence in Lisa's room so late at night was clearly a mystery. Fortunately, his sister didn't ask questions, she looked around the room anxiously. The look in her eyes was anything but reassuring.

"Something has happened to her," Anna finally said, pointing to her parabatai rune, "I can feel it."

*

The familiar smell of earth invaded Lisa's nostrils. She groaned as she brought herself to her knees, still confused from the sudden transportation. She opened her eyes and looked up, right into Thomas's grinning face.

"That's quite different from a Portal, isn't it?" He deftly tossed a ring and caught it in his other hand. "This is a teleportation ring, given by the elves."

"The elves," Lisa echoed. Only now did she recognize the dark earth passages. She was in the middle of the Seelie Court. A strange feeling came over her, she had seen the Court only once, in the dream in which her father was murdered by their Queen. And what did Thomas have to do with the elves? He was still courteous enough to extend his hand. She slapped the hand away and got up herself. The last thing she needed now was courtesy, she wanted answers. No matter what. "What are we doing here?"

Thomas's lip curled up. "Follow me." He gestured with his hand and began to walk down the hall. She patted the dirt off her no longer black dress and followed him.

Lisa made good use of the situation to take him in. Thomas was still wearing his black uniform and Centurion pin. This shadowhunter's outfit seemed completely out of place in the fairylands. It was like walking through an underground tunnel, but Lisa knew better. Seelie's Court may have been connected to Earth, but it was a whole different dimension. Where time and space worked differently.