6 - Den Engel

"Lord, what fools these mortals be!"
-William Shakespeare

After her post-training shower, Lisa changed her clothes again. Most of her hair had completely fallen loose from her bun and she decided to just let it loose. Lisa had brought a sandwich from the kitchen to the library, she was starving.

She just sat down when Anna came in, she also had a sandwich and sat down in silence next to Lisa. They often read together here. Usually they said nothing to each other when they read, as an unspoken agreement. So they read their book silently, even though they would normaly never stop talking when they were together. Lisa loved reading, just like Anna.

Back in the days when she still lived with her mother, she was often alone, with only books as her friends. That sounds very pathetic, but it was the truth. Lisa just wanted to ask Anna what book she was reading when Jonathan barged in.

"Lisa! Something happened in Cafe Den Engel, we have to go there right now!"

"Always nice to see you Jonathan," Anna said, not looking up from her book. Jonathan glanced at his sister and then focused back on Lisa.

"They said something about werewolves, demons and a dead person. It was all rather vague," he said nervously. Lisa's eyesbrows furrowed as she traded glances with Anna. She put her book down and got up.

"Okay, we have to go there as soon as possible."

"I'm coming too." Anna got up, her face twisted in pain.

"No, you're staying here. Your leg is still not healed," Lisa said severely.

"Lisa and I can do this on our own." Jonathon playfully prodded Lisa's side with his elbow, she rolled with her eyes. Anna dropped herself back in the chair.

"Are you warning mom and dad?"

"We are gonna need to see what the situation is first," Jonathan said with a smile, "if someone really is dead, we will warn mom and dad." He walked to the door, Lisa gave Anna another wink and walked to Jonathan.

*

Cafe Den Engel was a small pub on the Sint-Jacobs market. Usually, there were mundanes, but sometimes you could also encounter wolves there and if you are "lucky" even a pixie, some sort of fey. There was another cafe named Den Engel, on the Great Market Square, but there were not exactly so many downworlders, since there were tourists all over the place.

When Lisa and Jonathan arrived, they were immediately approached by a man, who had been sitting on a chair in front of the door.

"Ah, you are finally there, that took a while." The man had long brown hair, a beard, blue eyes and was obviously a werewolf. He wore a red T-shirt with a grey sweater. His face was as red as a tomato, he had bloodshot eyes with a frenzied gaze. Lisa smelled alcohol on his breath.

"Did you call us?" asked Jonathan surprised.

"Yes, that's what I said!" He made a wide hand gesture.

"You said something about demons and a dead person?" asked Lisa suspiciously.

"Yes, indeed. I came out and suddenly I saw a bright, red flash! It looked like a meteor, the light burned my eyes." The man pointed to his eyes.

"Okay... And you said something about a dead person?" she repeated.

"A dead person? No, no one died," he paused and looked at the sky, "yet." The man abruptly turned his head looked at them as if he forgot what he just said.