𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

He sucked in a breath, staring at the man in shock.

"Grandpa Charlie?" he questioned.

Charlie gave William a small smile with tears shining in his eyes. "Hey, Will."

He was sprinting before his grandpa even finished his sentence, and crashed into the man's arms.

Charlie laughed and patted William's back affectionately. "Careful there, kiddo"

"I've missed you" he whispered, swallowing the lump
in his throat.

"I've missed you too." Charlie replied. He could feel his grandpa shaking against him, but he only held Charlie tighter.

"Am I dead?" William questioned, fearful of Charlie's answer.

Charlie laughed fondly. "You're not dead, kiddo. You still have so much more to accomplish in life."

William was surely crushing the man, but he didn't care. He wanted to stay here forever, but a million thoughts were running through his head.

"How's Bella?" Charlie gruffly asked.

"She's good" William replied, nodding. "She's doing well."

Charlie smiled, letting out a breath of relief. "I know what you and Bella are."

William twitched, but he stayed silent.

"I'm proud of you, kiddo" he spoke, his voice laced with love and adoration. "You and Bella are happy. That's all I could ever wish for you two."

William pulled away from his embrace, still shocked that the man that had died years ago was standing in front of him.

"Thank you" he muttered quietly, sending the man a bright smile.

"Want to go for a walk?"

William nodded, sending Charlie a crooked grin and following after the man. He gazed around the white abyss, shocked into silence.

Charlie chuckled at William's expression, smiling fondly at the boy. William was a carbon copy of Bella, but he had a few qualities from his father that weren't quite as noticeable.

"You know," William thought aloud. "In the real world, I'm unconscious, soaked in my own blood."

Charlie grimaced, wrinkling his nose. "I saw," he muttered.

"I'm sorry, Grandpa Charlie."

Charlie chuckled and William stared with confusion. "You really are a carbon copy of your mother. She would do the same thing. Apologize for things that she had no control of." He chuckled again and ran his hand over his mustache.

William shook his head, staring up at the man. "What do you think Mom will do when she finds me in the real world?"

Charlie shrugged. "She'll go crazy once she realizes that you're missing and then she will go on a rampage," he said thoughtfully.

"You always know the right things to say." William grumbled.

Charlie laughed. "I was a parent once, remember"

William smiled fondly, remembering the times he shared with his grandfather. Those were good times, simpler times where things were okay in life for once, where everyone was happy.

Charlie spoke again. "You have to go back to the world of the living. Your time hasn't come."

William stared up at the man, tears shining in his eyes. "I won't see you ever again, will I?"

Charlie stared at the boy solemnly. "You can only stay here for a certain amount of time before you have to go back."

"What do I have to do to get back?"

"I'll tell you when the time comes." Charlie replied.

William nodded and followed after the man.

"For now, I want to spend time with my grandson." Charlie spoke, pride filling his eyes as he stared at William. "How's life going?"

"Chaotic" William said.

Charlie slung his arm around William's shoulder, walking toward a destination. "I got time."

"Well, brace yourself" William declared, sending the man a bright smile. Charlie returned it with one of his own, walking deeper into the white abyss.