Chapter 51 - Understand

"Right in time. There's been a huge pileup on the highway. Let's go." Athena says as Addie walks in the door of the police station.

"People don't do well in the rain here... Do they?" Addie laughs as she turns around and follows Athena out the door.

"We don't have a lot of rain here, so when it happens, things go kind of crazy. The people here aren't used to it like you and Bobby are." Athena climbs in the squad car as her phone buzzes. She looks down at the text from Bobby and lets out a laugh.

"What is it?" Addie asks, shutting the passenger door.

"Did you make Chimney wear a raincoat of yours this morning?" Athena laughs.

"Yes, I gave him my extra since he doesn't have one." Addie looks up at her, "Why?"

"Bobby just sent me this." Athena turns her phone around to show Addie the picture of Chimney holding the baby blue raincoat next to his locker.

"And...?" Addie looks at Athena confused.

"Well... Next time, I wouldn't send your fiancé into a fire station with a bright blue raincoat if you don't want him getting picked on." Athena laughs as she shoves her phone in her pocket.

"I just didn't want him to get sick." Addie says.

"I know. You care about him and want the best for him." Athena says.

"Let me guess... Buck?" Addie looks up and smirks.

"You know it... But apparently they were all picking on him some." Athena starts the car and heads off towards the accident, "Bobby says that you're definitely a Minnesotan at heart."

"Of course! Us midwesterners know how to deal with rain." Addie shrugs.

"You and your uncle are practically the same person." Athena chuckles.

"Is that a bad thing?" Addie smiles.

"Not at all. It makes it easier for me to understand the type of person you are." Athena says.

"Yeah?" Addie looks over, "What makes you want to understand me?"

"You're my niece... And my partner." Athena looks at her from the corner of her eye.

"Wait... Did... Did you just say that I'm your niece?" Addie smiles.

"Well, aren't you?" Athena asks.

"I... I guess I am." Addie looks out the window and watches the rain hit the pavement.