gяєу-둘-тωσ

(GREY)

(GREY)

☆★☆★

ѕнє ¢συℓ∂ нєαя, вυт єνєяутнιиg ωαѕ вℓυяяє∂.

She could dimly make out a roar, a rush of wings. She tried to call out, to tell them to stop, but it was slowing down, slowing down- and there it was, that river of blue, pulling her under.

Her parent's faces were filled with anticipation as she raised her hand to the tester, her eyes wide. The room was empty, save her parents. Her father, red hair glinting. Her mother, watching with darkened eyes. 

Neither speaking.

Neither smiling.

Focused only on the meter of her power.

This was the moment that would define her future. She would be B-ranked or higher, from their estimations, but she felt a doubt welling up in her chest. 

Jin-Chul gave her a reassuring nod- his equivalent of a smile, but it didn't make her feel safe like it used to. What if-

There was a deep inhale of breath that spread through the few people in the room. Dae lifted her head, joy surging over her features. Was she an A-rank? An S-rank? Had she finally earned her parents' approval?

"E-rank," The attendant's impartial voice announced. She blinked- but, no, it cant be, it cantbecantbecantbe-  The count on the meter measured two. 

Two points of power. Somehow, it hurt more than it would if she'd measured zero.

Silence, then a sigh. Her brother's.

"Well, that was a waste of time."

A waste of time.

Was that all she was?

Was that all she would amount to, because of her lack of power?

☆★☆★

She was frozen in time, caught- stuck. Don't tell him, she wanted to scream. Don't let him know. Please, please, she'd do anything, please- 

"She's only an E-rank," Her mother dismissed, eyes on Jinwoo. "Nothing special, unfortunately. Perhaps if we hadn't reawakened her earlier than was proper she 'd be stronger."

Her father laughed. "We were stupid to think that you would amount to anything, Dae. I'm sorry that we expected so much. All that painful training was a waste of time after all, wasn't it?"

A waste of time-waste of time. Sorry you expected so much?  Why do so in the first place? Waste of time- she was just a-

But Jinwoo didn't think so, did he? He had said she was special. Looked at her with those blue eyes and told her that she was unique. A precious individual. A rarity.

But that smile that had made her heart leap was nonexistent. The dismissal of her father's words unsaid. Those blue eyes dim with something she couldn't quite place.

He spat a laugh that mimicked her father's. "I'm sorry I wasted my time on her as well. I'm sorry, Dae. I didn't mean to expect so much of you too. I hope that i'm luckier when I get my Awakening! Wish me luck."

She was fifteen. Too young to truly be in love with someone, people had said.

But she wasn't too young to have her heart broken.

☆★☆★

Dae opened her eyes, taking in Chin-hae's roar. The dragon twisted from side to side, surrounded by shadow soldiers. The three hatchlings were lying, bleeding and tossed to the rocky floor of the cavern.

And the fury was a rush. He hadn't hit her heart. She was alive, and she was just watching this arsehole butcher the one good thing in her life.

She screamed, her voice breaking, swallowing the noise of the cavern entirely, spreading her hands, flame spiralling from them.

Her hair began to glow the same colour as her eyes, blowing in the wind of her tiny, hyperconcentrated power. She flickered with it, skimming the vast pool of energy she had stored deep inside her with an invisible dipper, fire flickering over her skin.

And she bent her knees, and she darted towards him, and she slammed him into the wall.

"Please, Dae, why are you protecting these monsters? Just let me get rid of them and we can return to our normal lives again."

Oh, that was the wrong thing to say. "You don't know how bad my 'normal life' was, Sung Jinwoo. I don't want to return to my normal life because I hate it. And here you are, popping up, trying to ruin my life yet again. And I refuse to let you."

His brow crinkled in confusion. "You're attached to these- these demons? They aren't even proper monsters. How about I strike a deal with you. I let these... animals live, but you don't interfere with my clearing of the dungeon." 

He cast a glance at the dragonell surrounded by his shadows and his eyes widened. Chin-hae had rid herself of the soldiers and was hunched over her children, looking them over for wounds. "Do you agree, Dae Choi?"

She swallowed. Contemplated the proposal.

"Yes, alright. I agree."

☆★☆★

Unedited so please forgive me for any mistakes or plot holes. I'll go back and edit it later... two chapters out close to each other! I just felt like it, which is rare.