15

The sound of the ambulance arriving was the most heartbreaking sound they had ever heard in their whole lives. Before they had lived in denial, somehow thinking that from the hospital he had been taken after he had the grievous accident, they would call Hussain and tell him that they were mistaken, that his twin brother was alive. Maybe he had just fallen into a coma but he would live, nevertheless.

Nadia clung tightly to one of her relatives that had arrived, her aunt that lived in katsina and she clenched her eyes shut. She didn't want to hear the sound, it was as though a painful reminder that her twin was indeed no more. Less than thirty minutes after he had called her to let her know that he would be in Abuja, he had an accident that took his dear darling life. She was no longer crying, she hadn't been crying since when Hussain told them everything.

That he received a call with Hassan's number from one of his rescuers. He had a brutal accident and had already been taken to the hospital. The doctors confirmed that it was an internal injury that would probably cost his life, he was still alive though, at the time and requested they call his brother before he died. He hadn't told them what Hassan's last words were, but maybe it was because his heart was in turmoil and he might likely not remember the right words.

She heard as Sohila began to scream when his body was brought into the house and it was taken directly to their chamber, in their living room so he could be washed. From where she sat, she could see the way Hussain was acting on motive, as if he had been programmed and was being controlled by a remote. She was still yet to shed a single tear, but she could literally feel the flames of agony burning at her heart.

One of their Aunts walked to her and said, "Hajia said that you should come and assist with the ritual bathe. Can you do it, Nadia?" The women around were both flashing her empathetic eyes and she hated it. She closed her eyes that burnt with pain and opened them again, how could she? But she hadn't even seen him yet.

She turned to her Aunt, her lips barely opening as she spoke, "I don't think I can be able to do it, Aunty Fatima."

She softly patted her hand, "It's sunnah for a wife to help in washing her dead husband and same goes to the husband for his wife. He would've done the same if you were the one in his position now. It wouldn't be easy, but you'll later regret it if you didn't."

Aunty Fatima helped her to the living room and she stood by the door, "Go in, Nadia, Allah will be your strength, okay?" And walked into the room and heard as Aunty Fatima closed the door behind her. Her heart lost yet another beat since the beginning of today as her eyes fell on his body. Long and muscular body as it laid on the floor, lifeless. There were a few blood stains on him, not that which one would believe would cost his life.

Her feet began to wobble and she felt as Sohila walked and helped straightened her. She scanned the room and saw that it was only Hajia, Hussain, Sohila and their imam. So, it was really happening, isn't it? She went and knelt by his head, his face was showing and he had the most beautiful smile she had ever seen on his face. Was he happy to leave her? His teeth were even slightly showing. Did he know that she would feel this miserable and have this excruciating pain threatening to bring an end to her life? She bet he didn't, because if he knew, he wouldn't have been smiling so beautifully.

The imam cleared his throat and began with sending his condolences, and told them all the islamic guides on doing a ritual for the dead. The dua's they should keep on reciting on him before they began. She just sat there, lifting when she was asked to. Closing when she was asked to and when it was time to apply the musk on him, they gave it to her and Hussain. He had always loved musk, and after they got married he had told her that he loved it the most when she was the one that applied it for him.