06

Hassan saw Sohila jogging towards him, she motioned for him and he immediately ended the call. He went to where she stood, holding her shoulder. He prayed nothing happened to Nadia, because he just remembered her phobia for snakes. "What happened, Sohila? Where is Nadia? Has she freaked out? A snake, right?" He ranted all these questions at once, and all Sohila could do was nod her head at him.

"Second H has taken her to the car already, we need to get home as soon as possible." She informed and Hassan held her hand as they walked out of the park.

As soon as they reached the car, he saw Nadia sitting at the back of the car while crying her eyes out. She was crying to the extent he got afraid something might happen to her. "Sohila, get in the front. I'll sit at the back." And that was how it happened, she hugged him the moment he wrapped his hands around her shoulders and began hushing some words into her ears.

"Twin, I miss Papi! I really need to see him even for once." She was crying bitterly, feeling as her chest constricted due to the pain. The pain of losing your loved ones is compared to none in this life. She was exhausted. Everytime she remembered Papi, she got through the five phases of grief; Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.

The first stage was Denial, which she had always suffered more from. Because some day she would wake up and take her phone into her hands. She will dial Papi's number and felt like he would answer with that soothing voice of his. He would gist her and also tease her about whatever it is that was happening in her life. She felt as though the moment she walked into their house he would walk out of his living room, smiling at her.

And anger. The anger that came to her throat after she found all she imagined will never happen, she got angry like a red bull. She felt the bitterness of her anger trying to choke her throat. Next came bargaining. Papi will come back some day, the doctors will come and say they made a mistake. No, a call will come through and he will be said to have been found somewhere around the world. And another mind will say no to all these.

Depression was the hardest part. She can live a whole day crying her eyes while curled up into a fetus position in her bathroom. She felt she hated everyone in her life and everyone hated her because they let Papi walked out of their lives. When acceptance hit her, there came self pity and steadfastness. She prayed to Allah for her Papi's rahma like she had never before.

These stages had taken a toll on her for almost half of a year, and whenever she saw a snake, they came back to her afresh.

They had already reached home, and Hassan helped her down the car and they directly walked to their room. She sat down on the edge of her bed and kept staring at space. Hassan brought out water for her from the fridge and she gulped it down at the instant. He sat down before her and took her hands in his.

"Singleton," he called. Staring deeply into her eyes with his eyes sending peace and calmness to her soul.

He continued, seeing that he had finally had her attention on him. "Grieving over our lost ones is the hardest feeling one has to overcome in life. It's okay to grieve your lost ones, but if you don't do it at the right time, it will never set you free. But what is not accepted is for you to let that grief control your life, you shouldn't let it define you, Singleton.

I've never met Papi in my life, but I know he's a great man. He planted his love in your heart so deep the roots are unshaken. You are to miss him for sure, but don't let that drag you into depression every now and then. He has lived his life. Either because of a snake or not, it was written Papi will leave this dunya on that day. We all have the sources of our death. He only needs your prayer now, that's the only kind of love you can show him. And he'll know, while he was alive, he groomed one of the best daughters on earth."