VI The Ruritanian - 3

"You can meet me for dinner," he offered, "And I shan't take 'no' for an answer."

Even for a man who has just saved one's life, a statement like that is rather forward. I was tempted to refuse, but there was the matter of the Ruritanian insignia. My eyes flickered back to his face. "Of course." I agreed, my voice neutral in tone. I tried to sound brighter and happier as I continued, "How could I not join my noble rescuer for a meal?"

"Then it is decided!" The young Ruritanian smiled at me affably. The smile which I offered in return was, I fear, rather more awkward.

"Would Delmonte's be to your liking? "

"Delmonte's?" I raised an eyebrow. Yes, he was well-dressed. Yes, he was piloting a rather fancy little aircraft. But Delmonte's was the most expensive, most exclusive, and most fashionable restaurant in the city.

"Do you not like Delmonte's? We could go elsewhere -"

"No, no, Delmonte's is fine. I just have much to do first, and not much time to do it in. I should be on my way to speak with the local gendarmerie. And besides, my clothing is damaged." I straightened my skirts to show the ripped fabric.

"Ach, your poor dress," he commiserated. "But I can accompany you to the police station, and the maître d'hȏtel at the restaurant can lend you, well, something – he's lent me a jacket often enough."

"Please," I begged, "I do need to change. And I can speak with the police on my own. It is only half-past three. That is rather too early for supper, don't you think? I could meet you in three hours. That should be long enough for my purposes."

The Ruritanian eyed me suspiciously. "You promise me that you will return? I cannot let you go without confirmation of the time and place where we will meet again.

"You saved my life, Sir, and I gave you my word that I would join you for dinner. Do not doubt me."

He looked me up and down, carefully.

Repressing a sigh, I opened my reticule. I hastily pushed aside the Ruritanian letter, and pulled out a square of light card instead.

"My name and postal-box address, If I do not arrive promptly for our meeting this evening, you have my permission to write in rebuke of my tardiness."

The Ruritanian took the card and regarded it solemnly. I caught the merest glimpse of an impressively fine linen shirt when he unbuttoned his coat to place my card in his breast pocket.

"Are you sure you do not wish me to accompany you to the police? You've just had quite the shock" he suggested.

I shook my head. "I will meet you at the restaurant," I said firmly.

He frowned but turned to step up into his flivver. "Good afternoon, then. I will see you later."

"Wait!" I called, and he stopped halfway up, turning to look at me over his shoulder. I continued, " I am afraid you have me at a disadvantage! You know my name, yet I remain ignorant of your own. I feel I ought to know the name of the person with whom I will be dining!"

The Ruritanian stepped back down onto the pavement, turning to face me fully. He clicked his heels together in an exceedingly continental manner, and bowed from the waist.

"My name is Theo. That is, I am called Theophilus von – " He paused for a fraction of a second before continuing, "Theophilus von Hentzau." Straightening up and smiling, he added, "Though my friends generally do call me Theo. And I should like it very much, Miss Auber, if you and I were to become good friends."