XXVIII Back at the Department - 1

My boss was not, in fact, furious. When I walked into his office, he had twelve different newspapers from 8 different countries spread out on his desk, on the chairs, and on the floor. I delicately tiptoed through them, trying to place each step on a bare patch of carpet or wooden floor. My boss was examining one newspaper minutely, but as soon as he saw me, he set down his magnifying glass.

"You woke up rather earlier than I expected, given your late night, Agent Auber."

"Your bird wouldn't let me sleep. And the night was, I think, rather profitable. Hentzau has invited me to attend the operetta with him, tomorrow."

"Excellent. Continue to cultivate him as a contact," my boss said.

"I am trying, but it is difficult. He fancies himself as a gentleman - which means he wishes to do things like see me home to my own door."

"A difficulty, I agree," My boss said. "But he is rather vital to our investigation. Therefore, let him."

"Let him? Let him what, drop me off at the door? Meet my brother? Actually play suit to me?"

"Yes, exactly. If it turns out to be dangerous, our budget is large enough to see you moved and settled elsewhere. And in the mean time," my boss smiled in a manner more suited to a mischievous child than a grown man, "I am sure your parents will be delighted that you have such an obviously prosperous suitor."

I rolled my eyes. "I am sure they  would be, if I intended to tell them. It would be just like my mother to encourage me to throw myself at the illegitimate half-brother of the King of Ruritania."

"Oh! So things are exactly as I told you they would be."

"Yes; his friend described him as an Elphberg when he believed I was out of hearing."

"And this friend?"

"Gabriel Dantès. From the W.P.A. -  apparently they were at university together. I also found out that Hentzau – er,Elphberg? If that is even his name? – knows who Simpelstur is, and is trying to contact him."

"Really?" my superior looked impressed and for a moment I felt that warm glow back in the pit of my stomach."The young man told you this? That's very quick work, Auber."

I shook my head ruefully, the warm glow turning to mere ash. "Of course he didn't tell me that! He spoke about it with Dantès."

"Dantès seems to be turning out to be more and more useful," my boss commented. "All the more reason not to miss the next WPA meeting. At any rate, let us return to discussing Simpelstur. I take it you read this morning's editions as I instructed?"

"I read The Aeon and The World on the train," I said. "The fire sounded prodigious, but I am shocked that Simpelstur would be so stupid as to show his hand, and insult his employer, all at once!"