XXXI The Baratarian Embassy - 1

I arrived at the Baratarian Embassy around 10 a.m. The embassy is on the right bank of the river, on a hill overlooking a medieval market square and a church with an oddly short and squat steeple. The embassy itself used to have a façade in the Baratarian style: delicate, arched arcades fronted with rhombuses and starbursts formed by neat, regular patterns of blue and green tile. I say 'used to have' because this façade had been on the newer part of the building, the part which was destroyed in the conflagration. The older part of the structure, a massive, ancient half-timbered building, stood some distance back from the street. Aside from some scorch marks on the walls, it looked none the worse for wear.

The fire brigade were still hard at work, apparently investigating the cause of the fire. A neat cordon of policemen surrounded the place. I sighed. This was not going to be so simple as I had assumed.

I was considering my building-approach alternatives when a loud voice boomed, "Now, now, Miss, do stop fighting."

A pair of policemen were dragging a very young woman out of the door of the old wing. She was dressed in a bicycle suit - a brown-and-cream plaid jacket with wide lapels,matching bloomers that puffed out before fitting just below the knee, and drab, brown stockings. She was waving a small piece of card in the face of the policeman.

"I have a right to be here!" She shouted, glaring. "I have a press pass, mister, a press pass!"

"Yes," the constable agreed, clearly humouring her, "A press pass that says you're from the horticultural desk. I suppose you're about to tell me you think this fire was started by a prize-winning hybrid petunia?"

"Come on, let me in. I don't want to be stuck on the flower show circuit all my life. This could be my big chance!"

"Interrupting our investigation and getting your dirty fingermarks and footprints all over everything is not going to help anyone, least of all yourself."

The line of policemen parted to let the officers with the girl through and out onto the street.

"But -"

"You heard me, little girl. Get on your bicycle, and go home. But first, may we have our evidence back?"