LIII Another Luncheon

Luncheon was indeed rarebit, toasted bread smothered in a sauce made of melted cheese and ale. Hentzau ordered coffee; I ordered tea. I sat awkwardly across from Theo, thinking about Dantès' cautions. Hentzau spoke about his brother, at length. He never mentioned his royal connections,  but it was clear that he and his older brother were close, a fact which surprised me a little.  I supposed that the Ruritanians must be very progressive on matters of one's familial situation.  When the food and drink were on the table, I finally broached the topic Hentzau had brought up at the embassy- my own brother.

"You said you could help with Baud's school problem?" I asked.

"Did you wire your mother, yet?"

I sighed, looking down at my feet. "No," I admitted. "We wired the school, to let them know he is safe with us, but not mother. She'll be furious, and she'll order him back to school. She is right, though. He ought to be in school. He is too young to go uneducated."

"But you do not wish to send him back?" Theo asked, his voice gentle, concerned.

"It's because Baud is so unhappy there," I admitted. "I cannot make him do something he hates. Even if it is good for him. My brother Blaise says the first year is the hardest year for everyone, and he will come round, but -"

Hentzau frowned. "I remember my first year at boarding school. There was nothing for me back in Ruritania; both my parents were dead, my brother was in attendance at the same school, and I was closer to my cousin Vicky here than in Streslau. I was delighted to come – until I actually got here. My brother was busy with his studies; I was only taken to see Vicky on Sunday afternoons and half-holidays; and all the other boys seemed to already know more about geometry and Greek grammar than I could ever hope to learn."

"You poor little thing," I said, reaching out to pat his hand, warm under my gloved fingers, "But I thought you were educated here in the city?"  The current king of Ruritania was far too old to have been educated with Theo. Besides which, the king would have been educated in Streslau, as heir to the Ruritanian throne. I could only conclude that Hentzau's apparently-beloved older brother was not the king, but rather yet another barely-acknowledged by-blow of the house of Elphberg.

"I was, as a school boy! And my brother was as well, though we overlapped only for that one year. After that he was called back to Streslau. It had been his last year at school, anyhow. He is six years my senior, you see."

"Ah," I said, unable to manage a more intelligent response. Certainly not King Rudolph, then. I was going to have to borrow my boss's large scrapbook on the Ruritanian royal family.

"At any rate, I do not wish to discuss my brother right now - I wish to discuss yours. It is my opinion that he may be happier as a day scholar."

"A day scholar? But his school takes no day students, as it is a boarding school only. There is no school near my parents' home which lives up to their standards, or they would not have sent him away in the first place. And with his current poor behaviour, it will be difficult for my parents to get him into another school."

"Surely if an alumnus recommended him -"

"There is no one to recommend him. The school he has been running away from is the one Blaise attended. I attended a girls' day school."

"Actually," Theo cleared his throat. "I meant myself."

"You?" I blinked.

"My brother and I both attended St. Lawrence Hall. It is a good school and it accepts day students. And it is on the underground train line. Baudoin could easily live with you and your twin and make a daily commute."

"And you would speak on Baudoin's behalf?"

"I should be happy to do so. He is a bright boy, and they will give him a top-notch education. Cable your parents, and let us have him enrolled. He must be educated somewhere."

I nodded my agreement. "Well, I must admit, it does sound perfect."

And it did sound perfect - like the perfect opportunity to find out more about my mysterious young Ruritanian companion.