XIV The House of Elphberg - 3

"But how could Theo von Hentzau be the half-brother of the king of Ruritania?" I asked in pure astonishment.

"Well, the lad clearly hasn't really got a proper right to the name Hentzau," my boss  pointed out. "Perhaps his mother was a Hentzau. Perhaps not."

I was confused; nothing my superiour was saying made any sense to me. "Names aside, if he is so closely related to King Rudolf, why haven't I heard of him? And why isn't he at home in Strelsau?"

"He isn't in Strelsau for the same reasons that have ensured that you haven't heard of him."

"Sir, I don't understand."

"That much is clear, child. How shall I explain this?" He let out a long, slow breath before continuing. "The previous king, Rudolf's father, was not known for his, erm, marital continence, especially after the death of his second wife. Every Ruritanian embassy in Europe probably has a red-haired clerk with less-than-legitimate royal connections."

"You don't mean to say that Theo is -" I paused, searching for a term that was descriptive yet not shockingly impolite. I could feel the heat of a blush on my cheeks.  "the product of an irregular union?"

"That is exactly what I am saying, Agent Auber."

"But he seems such a capital fellow!"

"That reflects well on him, but does it tell you anything about his familial situation?"

"No, I suppose not," I sighed. "So - so I should cancel my dinner with him? This afternoon is my weekly meeting of the Working Person's Association. You told me last week I should join the after-meeting drinks and -"

"Not at all!"  the boss broke in, shaking his head. "Someone else can go to the post-meeting WPA alcohol-fest."

"But -" I tried. My boss had told me himself that certain members of the WPA were suspected of being in league with Simpelstur.

"No buts, Auber. Far from being a low-level embassy employee, this Hentzau is closely related to the king. He has almost certainly met the Archduke. You would be a fool to alienate him. You will go to dinner with him. You will allow him to think you enjoyed yourself. You will go anywhere else he invites you, you will keep him entertained, and you will find out as much as you can about the goings-on at the Ruritanian embassy, with the Archduke, and with Simpelstur."

I took a deep breath. I told myself that there were worse assignments than going to a fancy restaurant. I nodded, and said, "Yes, sir. But, sir? I can hardly wear this to Delmonte's." I spread out my torn skirt. "I can't even wear it to the WPA meeting!"

My supervisor sighed. "Go to wardrobe and see what they can get you. Now, get moving."