LXVII The Truth - 1

Hentzau looked at me with weary resignation, his hand on my upper arm. "Miss Auber," he said, "I think it is time we told each other the truth."

"The truth?" I squeaked, my hot anger replaced with cold, wet misery.

Hentzau nodded. "The truth. But not here. It isn't safe. Simpelstur could return at any moment."

I nodded, plotting how best to rid myself of Theo von Hentzau. As soon as I extricated myself from his company, I planned to make my way to the Department – I might have been in disgrace, but even a furious MH was unlikely to let Simpelstur murder me unmolested.

"Come," Hentzau said, dropping his hand from my arm. "We can go to the embassy; I have a private room and the entire complex is guarded."

I shook my head. "Blaise is missing, Simpelstur has threatened me – and you as well – but Blaise is not my only brother. I must check on Baudoin."

"I will go with you," Hentzau offered.

"No!" I replied, instantly. I realised I sounded suspicious, and quickly added, "Please, stay here and watch for Simpelstur. I do not want to think of him following me to Baudoin's school!"

Hentzau grimaced, but nodded. "Tell them to keep him overnight. Their security is better than you think. I can cover the expense."

"Please don't," I said, knowing I fully intended to never see Hentzau again.

He bowed, the rain dripping off his nose. "It would be my honour. I shall follow Simpelstur upon his leaving the theatre, and meet you at the embassy thereafter."

I nodded, and rushed off down the alleyway.

~*~

I did not entirely lie to Mr. von Hentzau. I did, following various circumnavigations and long, torturous reroutings, make my way to St. Lawrence Hall and arrange for Baudoin to stay at the school for an unspecified amount of time. The fact that I was dripping wet caused raised eyebrows, but no comment. I did not seek out or speak with Baud himself. I did feel badly about that, but I could not imagine what to say given I had promised him he could live at home.

I then made my way, by similarly circuitous peregrinations, to the stone building with the glass doors and the tin doormen. No one was around as I made my way down the stairs and began to work the tumblers on the "Janitorial Supplies" door. Always before today the code had come naturally, through muscle memory. Today, when I went through the familiar motions, the door refused to open. I tried again, and then a third time, my heart pounding.

"Please," I cried out in the silence, "Simpelstur has my brother!"

No one answered. I sank to the floor, in tears, kneeling in the puddle created by my own wet clothing.

After an eternity,  the door creaked open.