LXX The Truth - 4

The narrow passageway led towards the embassy's courtyard garden, but we did not make it that far. A heavy, white-painted door appeared on our right, and Hentzau pushed it open, motioning for me to follow. I found that we were in a small hallway at the foot of a steep wooden staircase, the sort great houses have for their servants. Hentzau rushed up the stairs two steps at a time; I followed rather more cautiously.

We climbed at least two storeys before Hentzau pushed open a door and stepped through. The door, covered its the far side by a heavy tapestry, opened onto a richly-decorated space, an arcaded gallery overlooking the embassy's grand main entrance. The floors, walls, arcade and railings were all wooden, the three walls of the gallery were covered in tapestries alternating with bookcases and a rectangular window at the far end. There were two overstuffed chairs and a low table positioned where one could overlook the entrance hall.

Hentzau sat in one of the two chairs, and patted the other. I walked out, looking down at the entryway. A bored-looking clerk in a Ruritanian military tunic sat at the long desk, completing forms that I could not read at this distance. I wondered for a moment if it had anything to do with the expected arrival of Archduke Ruprecht, and his younger brother, Prince Rüdiger, for the upcoming royal wedding.

I appreciated our location; we could see and be seen, and yet, if we spoke quietly, we would not be overheard. I felt I was in danger neither from my occupation, nor to my reputation.

I was, however, still extremely concerned about Blaise. I did not sit. I stood beside the chair and said, "It is private enough to talk here; let us not waste time."

Mr. von Hentzau frowned. "I believe I can assist you in extricating your brother from the hands of Simpelstur. However, we agreed, first, to tell each other the truth."

My heart, which had already been beating quickly, sped up to resemble the movements of a bird that has found itself in the paws of a ravenous feline.

Hentzau smiled almost wolfishly as he said, "You go first."

I licked my lips. "Er, yes." I said doubtfully. "The truth. What do you want to know?"

Theo pressed his fingers together, reminding me of my boss. "Why would Dr. Roderick Simpelstur throw you from his airship?"

"He didn't so much throw me as cause me to fall -"

He held up a hand. "What were you doing on his ship?"

"Ha, well, the explanation is most embarrassing," I extemporized, feeling the heat as my cheeks turned red. "I – you see – I was trying to, well, impress Comrade Dantès."

"Impress Gabe? Of all the foolish things a person could - "

"Anyone with an airship that grand must be a capitalist of a particularly egregious sort, and Simpelstur has often been mentioned to me as a person who merely pretends to be of good character, and -" I added rapidly, before Theo cut me off, narrowing his eyes.

In a quiet, firm, tone, Hentzau said, "Gabriel Dantès is the last person you should try to impress; he isn't who you think he is."

I gawped for a moment and then said, "Why, he said exactly the same thing about you!"

Now it was Hentzau's turn to stammer. "Gabe said -"

"I rather think it might be your turn to tell the truth, Mr. von Hentzau"

For a moment, I thought Hentzau might protest, but he sighed. "You ought to sit. What I am about to tell you is shocking."