Chapter 5 - The other side

Twelve days after the invasion

Grand war court, Elyana

Laeroth Leobell was no fool. He didn't become the general of the first army as well the commander in chief of the Chosen legions by giving in to his desires. Out of the Grand five he was the most cunning and brutal, which is why in over three hundred cycles, no one managed to get close to replacing him. Especially that fool Ylindar. The only reason he became one of the Grand five was because his family was that of royalty. But Laeroth didn't have that luxury. At the war council, emperor Canus originally wanted to send the II army with general Nasir Quinvalor, but Laeroth objected and demanded Ylindar to be sent.

Laeroth knew the beginning of this invasion would be the most challenging part. He knew better than to underestimate an unknown enemy. He wasn't blinded by the emperor's paranoia, the dwarves' greed and his lessers's lust for war. If this war was to be victorious, there needed to be sacrifices. So he hand picked the invasion force, not just the elven, but also the vassal army. Ylindar was an annoying thorn in his side that needed to be removed. Bardek Leadmaster and Balmin Bronzering commanded the most wild dwarves that could prove a liability should this war go south. Bylnar's actions however caused a problem. While the other two dwarf kings are greedy and always jumping at the opportunity to make a profit, Bylnar was a calm and collected individual. Something admirable, but a hindrance nonetheless. Him not sending his army both weakens the invasion and bolsters his power to rebel. But it could be worked over.

As for the Rosians, he had to take one seventh of their total army as to not cause suspicion. For their leadership he assigned the various nobles of the kingdoms and duchies. The Rosians are an emotional bunch. Killing their officers would wound their army, but killing their most prized children would anger them and make them seek revenge against the enemy. On the plus side, that boy Bodin Zorgen has also become a nuisance. His grudge against the empire would be a potential problem for future generations.

With all these problems gone he could focus on the true invasion. Already he organized the VII army under general Drannor Crax and placed them in Kuruk. The left over halves of the two dwarven armies were in Imslone and a force of twenty thousand more auxillia have been assigned in Oms. All three of these cities are close to each other and could coordinate an attack on Galdush. The enemy would have to get past them, Fort Mundus or go south to the Kingdom of Alston. No matter how he looked at it, he had them surrounded, and with Ylindar serving as a distraction he had time to organize a proper invasion force. At least that is what he thought and hoped.

The rift in the sea would cause problems however, but Laeroth knew he could trust the first admiral Gondan Titus to deal with it. The western XV, XVIII, XIX and XX army should be sufficient enough to hold the enemy. The Tubal mountains gave him some reassurance however. They were a natural border with the west, very difficult to cross. Any major shipment would have to go by sea, so the west was out of his control. Still, he had more then he wanted and needed on his plate. Despite everything though, Laeroth felt a sensation he hadn't felt in a while. A real war was coming. No more would his soldiers be mere decorations for the capital. They would finally taste glory.

As he was going over the battle plans with his captains, a messenger came bursting through the door. "General!", he yelled, "General I have urgent news!"

"Calm yourself soldier.", Laeroth said.

"I... I apologize my lord. I galloped as fast as I could to Meilume and flew over here. My wyvern almost died from exhaustion."

"Well no more stalling. Tell us."

The soldier first caught his breath and spoke slowly, "The invasion force sent to the other side of the rift has been destroyed. And..."