Chapter 7

A month seemlessly passed since Casey and Isabella started meeting up for the project. They were going with an amazing pace compared to the rest of their class and have been making a huge progress, all thanks to Isabella's hard work and Casey's strange obedience.

It was a complete mystery to Casey as to why her partner was so determined to help her get the better grade. It wasn't like she got anything good in return except wasted nerves and time. Every day she had prepared a list of small things that needed to be completed for the project. 

She would constantly want to schedule additional meet ups - sometimes even stay up until late at night, would push Casey to listen when she talked, not let her get distracted by her phone or just the annoying small fly hovering above her head. She would push her to do her own research, read as much information as possible, formate and prepare her own presentation, all under her watchful eye.

Casey would always refuse to confess this, but the whole thing was starting to get her interested the more deeper she went into the topic. Plus, Isabella's effortless explanations made it extremely easy for her to understand things she would never have before. She would be a great teacher if she decided to persue this as a career one day.

It was a gloomy Wednesday afternoon in the chilly month of November. The fall had already kicked in not so long ago, bringing with itself constant rains, cold weather and slowly dying vegetation. The trees started gradually striping their covers down, dancing along with the rhythm of the wind. The saturated leaves created a beautiful scenery of brown, yellow and red vibrant colors that now aligned the frigid concrete tiles.

Casey stepped out of the university's exit, ready to finally go home. She and Isabella decided to take a short brake from meeting up since they has already made a big progress and the deadline was still far away, plus they needed some rest from each other's company.

Casey observed the outside world curiously, watching as the raindrops fell swiftly and smashed themselves on the hard ground. The smell of fresh petrichor hit her senses, pulling a barely noticeable smile on her lips. The gloomy weather was one of her most favorite things on the world, especially if it came along with rain - the harder the better, she had always said. The soothing sounds gave her a strange sense of comfort and tranquility. She just loved to takes naps next to her open apartment window, listening to the noises of the swirling storm.

Her head was full with exactly such thoughts of peacefulness as she stood in front of the building, remembering that she didn't bring an umbrella. Good that she sensed her favorite weather and came with her car that same morning.

Casey was just about to throw the hood of her jacket over her head, when with the tip of her eye she saw the wave of ginger locks she grew up so familiar with in the past month. Isabella was standing in the opposite side of Casey, hidden under the cover above the entrance in just her thin t-shirt. With a frown on her face, she had her phone pressed against her ear, probably calling someone. Casey's suspicions were confirmed when she spoke.

"Hey, dad! Can you come pick me up, please? It's pouring outside and i didn't bring an umbrella with me, neither I have a jacket and it's freezing cold right now" she kept silent for the next few seconds as she listened to her dad's response. By the look of surprise on her face, Casey could guess he didn't give a good answer.

"You are not at home? I thought it's your day off, though"

"I understand. It's fine, don't worry. Go finish it. I'll just go with the bus"

"No, h-he didn't come to classes today. I don't know where he is, actually"

"Okay, bye. See you at dinner later. I love you, dad"