Chapter 3

"So, how was school?" Charlotte asks her as they eat breakfast the next morning, her red hair pulled back into a slick ponytail

"So, how was school?" Charlotte asks her as they eat breakfast the next morning, her red hair pulled back into a slick ponytail. She stares at her daughter with bright, hopeful eyes.

"I made some friends mom," Melody says, rolling her eyes when her mom claps her hands in excitement. "You can stop worrying about me becoming some recluse who doesn't have friends," she chuckles.

"How about boys? Talk to me about the boys?" Her mom pleads, moving her plate to the side as she gives her daughter her undivided attention.

"Jesus mom," Melody laughs, "it's barely my second day going to school and you're already asking me if I've met some boys." She gets up and makes her way to the sink, hoping her mom will drop the topic.

"That wasn't exactly an answer," if there's one thing you should know about Charlotte Jones is that she's stubborn.

"There are no boys," Melody says as she washes her plate. Liar, a voice whispers in her head. There were in fact many boys that want her attention, but she's not about to tell that to her mom, not when she knows nothing will ever come out if it. Then there was Edward who started at her like he wanted nothing more than for her to stop existing and that would certainly cause her mother to talk to Doctor Cullen about his son which Melody doesn't want happening. So yes, she is not going to be talking to her mother about boys.

Charlotte opens her mouth to say something else, but Melody speaks first, "now would you look at the time," she says, quickly grabbing her keys, backpack, dark blue cardigan, and quickly leaves the house. She smiles as she hears her mother's laughter behind her.

"What is it with you and not wearing anything warm?" Bella says as she rubs her hands together in an attempt to warm her hands.

Melody looks down on her outfit, she's wearing a simple white, tight dress with a dark blue cardigan and some white sneakers. "I run hot all the time, besides, it's not that cold. You're just a baby," she laughs, hooking her arm through Bella's and hurries to get inside to stop her friend from getting hypothermia.

"I'm going to confront Edward today," Melody says as they make their way to their lockers.

"Really?" Bella asks, curiously staring at her friend.

"Yeah, I don't know what his problem is, but I'm not going to spend months with a lab partner that hates me for no reason," she tucks a strand of red hair behind her ear as she grabs her English book.

Bella doesn't say anything else, but grabs her hand to show Melody her support, which the redhead appreciates.

Coach Clapp is still making them all play volleyball as the weather is a bit too chilly for anything else. This time Melody makes sure to hit the ball everytime it moves toward Bella, earning herself an appreciative smile from her friend.