Chapter 4

Edward doesn't show up for school the next day, or the rest of the week for that matter, but the rest of the Cullens do.

It's drizzling the next Monday morning Melody wakes, ice can be seen in the driveway, but she feels as if a furnace is in her room. She makes up her mind to grab a simple baby blue dress that has white flowers and quickly puts on her white sneakers before she makes her way to the kitchen.

"There's some oatmeal," Charlotte doesn't look up as she continues to read the newspaper. Melody quietly watches her mom, slowly eating her breakfast as she waits for Charlotte to say something.

"I don't want you going anywhere near those woods," she says, looking at her daughter sternly. "There's been way too many animal attacks going on."

Melody hums in affirmation and continues to eat. Charlotte doesn't touch her breakfast, but she does drink her coffee. She kisses her mom on the cheek and grabs an umbrella before stepping outside. A smile graces her face when the cool air hits her face, cooling her down a little.

"You really are looking forward to getting hypothermia," Bella laughs as she stares at her friend. Melody sticks her tongue out and links their arms together before making their way inside. "By the way, I think Eric is going to ask you to prom."

"What?" Melody whips her head to the side to look at Bella with wide eyes. "You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding."

"I heard him asking Tyler what he thought was the best way to ask a girl to prom and let's be honest here, you are the only girl he has had his eye on for the past week," Melody groans, and hits her head on her locker. Couldn't boys just get the message that she was not interested.

"I'm going to have to avoid him, which means I'm going to skip lunch and spend it in the library," Melody sighs, opening her locker and stuffs half her backpack in it.

"No, no way are you leaving me alone to deal with Jessica," Bella says, staring at her friend with pleading eyes, but Melody was not going to give in, not when she didn't want to hurt Eric's feelings.

"Sorry Bells, but I have trouble saying no, and unless you want me going to prom with Eric just because I couldn't say no then I need to avoid being anywhere near him for today."

And that's exactly what she does, she takes different ways to get to her classes, and pretends to not hear Eric as he calls out her name in the hallways.

The library during lunch isn't full, but it is quiet and Melody starts to regret skipping lunch when her stomach rumbles in hunger. She quietly makes her way to the restroom. When she comes back she notices an apple has been left near her books.