one

You would think returning home after being away for 10 years would lead to some grand home coming. That everyone you know would be lining the streets holding signs and flags to mark you arrival home for the first time in 3,650 days. But today, the only thing here to greet me is the late July heat and quiet suburb streets of my old neighborhood in North Carolina. But then again, how can I expect such fanfare when I didn't tell anybody the details of when my flight would be arriving.

So once the C-130 landed in North Carolina, I called a cab to take me home. The ride didn't take long, just a half an hour away from the base. To me, it felt like another universe, one I haven't been a part of in a long time. Since I left all those years ago and joined the Army, I have only been back a hand full of times only for a day or two at most. Then I just stopped coming back at all. Whenever I had down time in between deployments, I spent my time on base in Georgia at home in the house I bought with my best friend Morgan Alexander. She and I have been living together for the last 6 years and things are so easy with her. We never have to explain the late nights or early mornings or even getting the phone calls saying we are getting spun up and have to return to base ASAP.

The cab pulled to a stop in front of my mothers house and stopped short, pulling me from my reverie. I rolled my eyes at the cab driver and handed over some money before getting out of the back and going over to the trunk. Inside I had my large standard issue army duffle, back pack and the large gun case. I grabbed everything out of the trunk, slammed the lid and made my way over to the front door as the cab sped off in the distance.

I pulled the house keys from my pocket and put them in the lock. As I opened the door I could hear music coming from the back of the house. Mom must be in her art studio. I sighed and dropped my things inside the door before taking a look around. The house is just as I remember it. Framed pictures of my brother Dominic and myself are all around the living room along with Moms newest art pieces hanging on the walls. I tried not to let myself get pulled in too much as I closed my eyes and remembered what brought me home in the first place.

The walk to the back of the house wasn't long. I happened to be right, mom was in her art studio. She is sitting on a comfy looking chair staring out into space, some Journey song playing in the background. I took my hat off and ruffled my hair a little bit before knocking on the doorframe. Mom jumped a little and wiped the few tears that escaped her eye.

"When did you get in? I would have picked you up." Mom said and got up from her chair and came over to me. She crashed into me and I held her tightly in my arms.

"It would have been harder to get you on base then it would have been for me to just take a cab, especially now that dad" I couldn't finish the sentence.

"Shh, I know chicken, I know." Mom said and held me just as tight as a few tears escaped my eye.

We stayed locked together for a while. It's been a few months since I've seen her and now I don't want to leave. But eventually we broke apart when we heard the front door open and close. It took a few seconds but I heard the rushed foot steps and found my step-mom Peyton stop short and look at me. She opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out so I just walked over to her and gave her a small smile before pulling her into a hug.

"It's so good to see you honey." Peyton said in my ear and I normal hard army shell started to melt.

"It's nice to be home." I said to her. We didn't stay together long, only a few more seconds before she pulled away.

"Dominic is at the shop still; he'll be home in a little while for dinner. He did bring a truck by the other day after we spoke. He said it was for you to use while you are here if you need to go anywhere. The keys are on your bed, why don't you go get settled and we can go over the arrangements later when Dominic gets here." Mom said and put her hand on my back.