Chapter Two

Evelynne

       Alexia and I have been best friends ever since I can remember. I know everything about her and can read her like a book. Except for recently. Nowadays I feel like I don't even know her. She's been closed off and distant. I keep asking what's wrong, but she always insists everything is fine. 

       I watched as Alexia rushed out of the house. I called after her, but she seemed hell-bent on getting out of here. I'm really worried about her. Even my mom was starting to get worried.

       "Hey, honey. I thought Lex was staying over tonight," my mom said.

       "Me too. But I guess she had something to do." I went back up to my room and texted her. I had a feeling she wouldn't respond, but it doesn't hurt to try. As I went to type another text I got a call from Jonah, my boyfriend of six months. I love him so much. I can already envision a life with him. I have never dated anyone who has treated me as well as him.

       "Hey, babe," he greeted. "Are you doing anything? I want to see you." God, I loved the sound of his voice. It was smooth and nice to listen to. Just like Alexia's is. Wait. What?!! Why did I even think that? JONAH has a nice voice, not Alexia. Well, she does, but not like that. I swear. 

       "Yeah. I kinda just want a quiet night in with my parents."

       "Cool. Tell them I said hi. Do you at least want to go on a date tomorrow? I got tickets to that movie you wanted to see. They're for the 11 o'clock viewing" I had promised Alexia I would go with her, but I think she would understand. She has the other times I've gone out with him. Plus, I've wanted to see this movie since the trailer came out and he already has tickets. So.....

       "Yeah. I would love to. I can't wait!"

       "Can't wait either. I have to go, but I'll see you tomorrow. Love you."

       "Bye. Love you too." After I hung up, I decided to text Alexia again. I am still really worried about her and she still hasn't seen my text. She always looks at them, even if she's having a rough day. I eventually gave up and decided to go to bed. It's late and I have things to do tomorrow. 

       I woke up to my phone ringing next to my ear. I looked to see Alexia was calling me. I shot up and answered immediately. I was still really worried about her. 

       "Hey, Lex. Are you okay? I'm really worried."

       "Hey. No, I swear I'm fine. I was just wanted to see if you wanted to go see that movie. Maybe grab lunch after and talk?" She sounded so hopeful and I know she's been struggling lately. But...

       "I can't. Jonah bought tickets and I decided to go." I hated to do this, but she'll understand. I can't think of a reason she wouldn't.

       "You promised we could go together." I was wrong. She sounds so sad, but I can't just cancel on him. 

       "I know. And I'm sorry, but I can't just blow him off like that. You have to understand." My alarm for 10:30 went off in my ear. "Sorry. I have to go get ready. We can hang out later in the day if you want." I kinda wanted to go to Jonah's later, but I had to sacrifice something. I just couldn't leave her hanging like that. 

       "No, it's fine. I can find other plans." 

       "Ok. Bye. Love you." She didn't respond and just hung up. She's mad at me, but I couldn't just cancel on Jonah. He spent a lot of money on those tickets and I would feel bad if I didn't go. But now I feel bad because Lex wanted to see it too and now I feel like I'm bailing on her. BUT, she didn't already buy tickets so...

       I decided to just let it go and get ready. I'm still going to have a good day with Jonah. Even if I had promised to see it with Lex. I had showered, did my hair, and got dressed before he texted me he was here. I ran down to the car, yelling bye to my parents.

       "Hey, you look great," he said and kissed me on the lips. I grinned and thanked him. I couldn't wait to see this with him. Even though guilt started to flood through me.