Chapter Nine

Alexia   

       Someone was banging on the front door. I groaned. Who was knocking on the door like that at nine in the morning? I threw the door open and tried to slam it closed. Evelynne. Evelynne was banging on my front door at nine in the morning after ignoring me for weeks. 

       She stuck her boot between the door and the house right as I was closing it. I glared at her but she wouldn't budge.

       "I know you're upset..." She began hesitantly.

       "Upset. Damn right I'm upset," I began furiously, "I've spent the past few weeks miserable because I thought you hated me. You ignored me right after you said things you knew would hurt me. So I think I have the right to be upset."

       "I know. That's why I'm here. You deserve one hell of an apology and an explanation. Just come with me and I promise I'll make it up to you."

       She was desperate. I could see it in her eyes. I didn't really want to go with her, but maybe it'll be good for me. If it goes bad, it could be closure. If it goes well, I'll have my best friend back.

       I rolled my eyes and opened the door wider. She beamed as she followed me into the house.

       "Thank you, thank you, thank you! I promise you, you won't regret this!" She exclaimed, kissing me on the cheek. 

       I stood there stunned until she started rushing me to get ready. I had no idea what was happening anymore. Did she feel the same? Or was she just being friendly? You know what, I'm not going to get my hopes up. If I don't get my hopes up, I won't be disappointed. 

       After I got dressed, she practically pushed me into the car. I didn't even know where we were going. But I don't think she really cares. 

       We pulled into the parking lot of a locally owned cafe. I loved this place, but I don't know what she's trying to do. If she's just trying to butter me up, it's not going to work. I sighed and undid my seat belt. We went in and Evelynne insisted I just sat down. Apparently, she would take care of everything. I didn't have it in me to argue.

     She stood at the counter and ordered what I assume to be our food and drinks. She was back a few minutes later, telling me it would be a few minutes. Why would it be a few minutes? The food usually doesn't take that long since we normally just get pastries and a coffee. I don't think I even want to ask.

       We sat there in awkward silence, not really knowing what to say to each other. I hated it. It never used to be this awkward between us. I missed the comfortable silence we used to share, even when we had our fights before. But right now, it feels like we're strangers.

       "Sooooo," she started, "I-" 

       She never got to finish her thought. The food was brought out by a worker. I looked down at my plate and saw something I thought I would never see again. It was my favorite pastry I have ever eaten, but I hadn't had it in forever because they stopped making it. I glanced up at Evelynne in surprise, but she just smiled and shrugged at me. I guess it was the end of it.

       We ate in silence. I didn't really know what to do besides eat my pastry. I didn't want to start talking because what if she doesn't want to talk? Or what if I say something stupid? What if I ruin our chance at being friends again before we even had the chance to be? What if- I really should stop overthinking things. I was comfortable not talking, so I'm not going to talk.

       After we ate, Evelynne said that we were going to our next stop. I honestly don't even know where we're going at this point. Every time I asked, she just shushed me. 

       It turns out we're going to the natural history museum. I love this place. It's one of my favorite places to go. I haven't been here in a while, though. Between, school, work, soccer, and therapy I just haven't had the time. 

       Evelynne walked to the front desk, instructing me to just stay put while she talked to the man at the front desk. The next thing I knew, I was being pulled into the museum. It was only then I noticed we were the only ones in here and Evelynne was putting a VIP lanyard around my neck. 

       "I got us unrestricted access to the place. We can go anywhere in here, including the dome."

       "Are you serious?!" I exclaimed. I had always wanted to do this. "Thank you so much!" 

        She laughed in reply and took my hand, leading me around the exhibits. I stared at everything in fascination. I've seen everything here before, but I've never seen it close up like this. There have always been tons of people here, and you can never get so close to the exhibits.

       The last thing we did there was go to the dome. I had never been in there. It only had special access and it costs a fortune to get into. The ceiling had a projection of space on it and in the middle of the room, there was a big touch-table that you can control it with. It could do everything. You could zoom in and out on planets and stars. And you could even look up certain things you wanted to see and it would tell you all about it. 

       I was so excited. I looked over to Evelynne and she was just looking at me with a fond look in her eyes I had never seen. She smiled at me and I smiled back. 

God... I've missed her so much.